British Academy / Leverhulme postdocs - sending more than one internal application?

N

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into applying for these postdoc schemes this and possibly next year (I'm a little late for the BA now I think).

I think in all(?) cases, the university at which you want to do your project has to nominate you as one of their candidates.

I managed to get nominated by a uni for the BA last year and ultimately wasn't successful in the main competition but was invited to apply again. I would still need to get through the internal competition though. For the Leverhulme, I didn't get past the internal stage. My research record is stronger now so I'm hoping for a better outcome!

My question is this: I want to maximise my chances of getting through the internal stage which is already very competitive. Would it be wise or possibly unethical to submit internal applications to a number of universities? Not dozens, maybe 2-3. I'm really don't know if this is common practice or whether it's very much frowned-upon.

I'm aware that I'd need to contact a mentor in each institution, so in the event that I managed to succeed in more than one internal application (hah), I'd have to contact those mentors and say I was going somewhere else (which could be awkward I guess).

Anyway, sorry if this is a stupid question - I'm a bit new to the world of postdocs, so any advice would be really helpful! Thanks for reading.

N

Bump! Sorry - hopefully someone has some advice?

M

Hi
Im not exactly and expert, but if I understand your question correctly, you want to submit a proposal to more than university? Sounds like a good idea to me. Dont put all your eggs in one basket, etc.

If more than one university nominates you, then you may have to choose the one that fits better your research goals.

N

Hi, thanks for responding! Yes, you understand my question. Thanks a lot for your input!

T

I agree, it's standard practice to apply for multiple grants/jobs etc.