Can a procrastinator get a PhD???

R

Ok, I have a question that I am almost afraid to ask...

I know, from reading this forum and talking to others, that a lot of PhD students have problems with self-motivation and that they often end up procrastinating and not making much progress from day to day. This has reassured me that I am not the only one with these problems - but my worry is... none of the self-confessed procrastinators that I have spoken to actually HAVE their PhDs yet.

So my question is this... Is there anybody out there who had problems with motivation and working consistently during their PhD, but who successfully completed in the end??? Please, please, PLEASE let there be somebody?!?!? It would be very reassuring...

G

Have you tried to get yourself out of this habit of procrastination? Procrastinators anonymous, self-help books, Paul MacKenna motivational CD's or suchlike?

R

Procrastinators anonymous... is that a real thing??? Hehehe... No I haven't tried that, or hypnosis or the like...

I am better than I used to be - now I break big tasks into little tasks which makes it seem more achievable - but I still have days where I would rather stick pins in my eyes than think about my PhD

Anyway, just want to know if someone like me could ever succeed!!!

R

Ooh just looked up 'Procrastinators Anonymous' - it is real! Sorry if I offended anyone...

I don't think I have a problem with 'compulsive procrastination'... I am the opposite in all other areas of my life - I tend to be very 'get up and go' actually!!! So you can probably tell a lack of interest in my research may be the problem...

P

Yes they can. I am evidence of the fact ;)

R

Yaaaayyyyy!!!!! Thanks procrastinator, that is nice to hear

While we are on the topic, any advice on how you did it?

P

It just takes a while longer if you procrastinate. I guess I could've saved perhaps 3 months during my writing up period if I hadn't, although I was working full time through most of it, so who knows???

C

Yes, it took me 4 years to submit (last September). It then took 4 months to get a viva, 3 months to do corrections.

H

I hope so!

P

I spent a lot of my 3 years down the pub... and never worked at weekends... that's why I went over my 3 years and spent year 4 working full time and writing up...

.. but I graduate next month so got there in the end.

I think there's a common misconception that 'to get a PhD you have to be dedicated to research, you have to be ulra brainy, you have to want to go into academia, you have to work 12 hour days 7 days a week'

Now.. there could be an argument that my thesis isn't as good quality as someone who works 24/7... It would be interesting to see if someone could tell the difference (apart from the cat paws that are currently all over it!) but hey, we get the same degree at the end of it

S

that's good news indeed!

R

CC and PC_Geek that is most certainly good news!!! I am already in Year 3 so I am already resigned to the fact that there is going to be a Year 4! It is good to know that there may be hope for me yet

C

I like this thread, it gives me hope. I'm only in first year but procrastinating steadily! I'm (fairly) confident i'll get into it and finish in 3 years, but in many ways can't see that happening.

L

I hope so! because I am the biggest procrastinator ever!!!

L

PC geek., totally agree with you there!!
especially about the need to work 24/7

it's about working smarter not harder