Change discipline

A

Hi people!

I wanted to ask some advice. I graduated 7 years ago with a Biochemistry and Microbiology degree. At the time it felt the right course, however my interest has moved into Physics and I wanted to ask how I would look to change discipline at an MSc level? I have studied an Open University course in mathematics, and have looked at extending my study with OU further but would ideally like to study with an established University. Would my higher education allow me to study an MSc or perhaps a PGdip? What would I likely need to do to have a chance of getting onto an MSc?

Thanks for your help.

S

hi, not sure how to answer your question.
if you want to do an MSc or PGDip, there is a transition in changing fields and you did take a step in doing the math course, my guess is you'll do ok.
Check with the university(s) about the application requirements or ask your prospective supervisors.
Good luck in the physics world :-)
love satchi

B

Not a scientist so apologies is this is way off your interests: I once met a guy who was doing an MSc in biophysics (at Manchester I think), who didn't have a degree in physics. I wonder whether a crossover type masters between the subjects might be worth investigating.

B

The OU is an established university. I switched from computer science (former PhD student as well) to history through them, gaining my BA with the OU, then going on to a Masters locally, and a PhD as well. The OU degree was very well regarded by everyone I dealt with subsequently, including the funding council who funded my second go at a PhD.

L

You will have to have a reasonable UG background in maths, so it depends on what level and what type of maths course you studied. You will need advanced calculus and linear algebra as a minimum, preferably studied at Honours level, so at Level 2 or Level 3 with the OU. If you did the OU's Mathematical Modelling course, and did well in it, then that should stand you in reasonable stead, but I know that all of the OUs later-stage physics courses develop the mathematical techniques a bit more in a directed way depending on the subject you are studying.

The OU is very well established, it's been going for over 40 years as a chartered University, longer than the polytechnic conversions of the early 90s. I started my study at a traditional uni and finished it with the OU (Physical Science), and I'm starting a PhD in a crossover area between biology and physics. I did have a good maths background from my initial studies and I added to it with the OU though.