Change of supervisor

S

Has anyone ever had to change their supervisor because they weren't getting anywhere? I feel like I'm making very little progress compared to my peers, and am beginning to worry that I'll still be working away when everyone else in my year has graduated. My supervisor never gives me any feedback on my work, and never reads what I've written. I spoke to him a few months ago to ask about my progress, and he said I was doing fine, but I have a feeling that he was just saying that because he knew that's what I wanted to hear. I often have meetings with him and feel no further forward by the end of the meeting. I did speak to my second supervisor recently about my progress, and he was quite helpful, reassuring me that I had made some progress and would get there eventually. He also said that he would speak to my supervisor if I liked, but I don't know if that would really change much - I think my supervisor is rather lazy and work-shy, and will always be that way...

S

...I don't want to have to ask for a change, but I feel that if I don't say now, I may regret it later on...in fact, I'm regretting not saying something sooner. I just feel that it might be quite awkward if I did change, because I'd still see my supervisor around the dept, which could be difficult. If anyone has been in a similar situation, it would be good to hear your thoughts!

Y

I had to change my supervisor at the end of my first year. I found that they weren't being helpful at all, frequently cancelling meetings and when I did see her I got fobbed off elsewhere with little interest in my work unless it was suddenly going to produce a paper or patent. Since I've changed supervisor I've had a much better time in terms of supervison, meetings are constructive and I feel like my work actually has some meaning. If you really are unhappy I'd change now rather leaving it until your writing up. Its good you have a co-supervisor they frequently help things along and may be able to get your main supervisor to take more of an interest. Hope everything sorts itself out.

S

Thanks, it's good to know someone else has taken the plunge!

B

I have considered changing too. My sup doesn't answer any of my emails. It's gotten to a point where I just don't bother emailing him anymore, even if I have a question or a point I want to make. I talk to others in my department, and they have great relationships with their supervisors. My advice would be that, if you do decide to go ahead, be very careful in how you proceed. Apparently, you can really get a bad rep if you go about it the wrong way.

L

I'm fortunate in that I'm happy with my supervisor but if I wasn't I wouldn't think twice about changing him. Remember, supervisors are paid to do a job and if yours isn't doing it you need a new one. Try not to feel awkward or guilty and go ahead. Best of luck.

S

Bellaz, I feel the same way when talking to others in my dept - they all seem to have supervisors who take an interest in their work and give feedback etc. The annoying thing is that my supervisor is very nice and always has time for meetings etc..it's what goes on in the meetings that isn't so helpful!

S

Hi... I'm in the process of changing supervisor at the moment (half way through my second year) for similar reasons - poor feedback, constantly cancelling meetings. I have tried to do it as diplomatically as possible by simply telling the relevant members of staff that as she is inexperienced and has a number of PhD students she is struggling to cope.
I was advised to email her to arrange a meeting, she cancelled, and said she was too busy to arrange another. I was then advised to inform her of my concerns by email. She replied with a personal character attack on me, when I had ensured I kept it professional. It has got very bitter now - but her personal comments have negated any 'defense' she had and were a perfect demonstration of her unsuitability as a supervisor. My new sup is much more grounded and ultra-professional.
All I would say is get advice from your personal tutor/director of graduate studies before you proceed. If it gets nasty, you need to cover your back...

J

i really like my supervisor, and he is good,top of the tree really, but getting hold of him is like juggling jelly! I'm part time, so not on campus and can't just drop in. I don't really need to see him until I've got a bit further into things, but here we are supposed to meet up every 6 weeks or so, and this is supposed to be minuted. I'm not sure how I will get round the fact we have missed two such meetings, partly because supervisor has not been well, and is also involved with undergrads obviously and it is marking time, but I think i will use my e-mails to him as evidence of contact.

J

Second supervisor is, I think basking in reflected glory of first supervisorand being sort of 'best mates' if you know what I mean, he doesn't really understand what I want to do - he was the one who made all the fuss about my initial proposal, so I'm looking upon him as a critical enemy at the moment. however if I really needed his help, and because of my subject that will come a bit later, I'm sure he would come up trumps, and if he didn't then I think I too would ask for someone with a bit more time, after all you are the customer.

H

Yep, I had a very hard time with my sups too. I should have asked for a change of supervisors after the transfer viva but decided not to - for a quiet life. Three years later, just recently, I sacked them! It took 10 long months to get rid of them. They wanted my thesis under their names and were disgracefully unwilling to let me have a new team of supervisors. Well the Sh^% hit the fan and they had to back off or it would just get uglier. So my advice to all PhDers with lousy supervisors is to sack them as soon as alarm bells ring. Things can only get worse unless you end the relationship with the lazy sods!

C

Well said Hairui, though other posters are correct that diplomacy is also required in replacing one's supervisor.

S

Diplomacy is the way, but I had a great piece of advice this week from a senior member of staff: it doesn't matter what your supervisor does or doesn't do, if you are not happy with your supervision it is an issue. You don't have to 'prove' it, offer examples or anything like that, being unhappy is sufficient grounds to change

H

An ugly truth is unfolding with one of the new supervisors - she's a bloody control freak and wants to change the direction of the thesis! In addition, she wants me to do a third phase. I think she is well off her head as the write-up period is for writing, not further data collection. Must be a real jinx! Any one out there who knows a cure for jinxism? (new word that I've just invented)

S

I agreee, sleepyhead. I guess it is our right to have a good supervisor, so if we're not happy, then we should be allowed to change, for whatever reason. it's just quite a difficult thing to do though, without offending your supervisor or falling out with them. But then I suppose it is my PhD at the end of the day!