Chapter Referencing

P

Hello, I am in the final stretch of finalising the written part of my practice-led PhD and am staring to wonder how other people handle the references. Each of my chapters is more or less a standalone essay on different aspects of my work, so I am inclined to include references I have cited in each section directly after the text (before the next section), and then have a full bibliography of all literature I have consulted at the end. Is this an acceptable format, or are there other ways people are handling their references?

Any input would be appreciated!

T

I've only seen people have one long reference list at the end.

H

yes only ever seen reference list at the end

P

If you were editing a book with chapters written by various authors, then the solution is easy - each one stands alone. In your situation with one author writing one thesis, I would be inclined to keep the reference list to the end. What does your supervisor say?

I

Have you checked if your uni has a set structure for the thesis? Mine does, and the reference list has to be at the end. But, as with others, I think it would be unusual for the references to be anywhere other than the end. Think of the examiner, they're not reading the thesis as a set of single essays, they're reading it as one body of work. I know that when I read other people's work, I often go straight to the reference list early on - to see if what they're citing highlights anything interesting for me. It would be super annoying to have to find multiple sections of references to do that....

C

I kept mine with reference lists in each chapter, in the sciences I think it's pretty common. My examiners must have been happy with it as the only comment I had was 'you have adequate and up-to-date references' and that was that. But yes check your Uni regulations in case they have specific instructions!