Checking the alignment of the sun, moon and stars...

O

because it looks gloomy here in PhD Land! I think that there are some eclipses scheduled to happen in a few weeks, or maybe its in August, and not that I entirely hang my hat on what the planets do to reflect moods and life events, but on the other hand, its always nice to have a planet to blame things on ( Mercury is in retrograde, or Pluto is in a square junction with Mars...)

S

Well i think my thesis is in Uranus write now....

Sorry, just couldn't resist

J

hehe smilodon

O

laughing @ Smilodon!
I am very interested in the Daily Mail today! ( demotivation? work avoidance? what?)

Did you know that Polish immigrants were advised to complain to the British about the rain in order to make friends? This was put forth as a sort of social icebreaker/bonding sort of thing.

I wonder what British people think of this advise? Anyone on here think that this would work to make friends? What IS the social ritual and rule about talking about the weather?

S

You must always compalin about the weather - never say it's good. If it's hot - it's too hot, muggy etc.

It seems we are both distracting ourselves furiously today.

J

generally you will always mention the weather if having a conversation with someone you don't really know. To chat about the weather is perfectly fine, if not just downright good. The weather changes continuously and is a wonderful source of fascination for us. I was watching curb your enthusiasm the other day and realised that the weather never ever changes. that would depress the life out of me...

In fact, I just had a convo about the weather with my boyfriend because I just realised I was very hot in my office. The sun is out! WOOO!

S

But seriously, this is a rubbish July even for the UK....

J

PLEASE tell me August is the hottest month in the UK?

O

When people ask me what the weather is like in the UK, I say its always 50F ( because I have not mastered C temperatures yet) and raining, that it never changes.

Even if August is the hottest month in the UK, its bound to be a rubbish month, hot and humid, and it will be miserable. And oh, it can be worse if it rains ( testing out my friend making skills!) =)

S

That's the spirit. My American husband still makes the mistake of looking out of the window and thinking that's how the weather will be for the whole day. You must always have an umbrella and coat. The consequence of going out without the necessary layers and accesories are dire.

Personally, I'm going to France in August. And I'm not taking my thesis. I'm not. Oh no. No I'm not. Not even one page. And definitley not my laptop.

J

Today and yesterday were quite warm, apparently. I don't know as I'm sitting in my cage writing a PhD, not leaving the house, blinds down, long beard. My own family wouldn't recognise me like this. So I'm hoping for more summer days next month? Or should I not get my hopes up?

S

I can absolutely guanantee that the weather here will be perfect the week I am in France.

O

LOL@ Smilodon's husband looking out the window and thinking that is how the weather will be all day! I do that too!!!!! and I am always startled when its different!

Its just sooo hard to complain about the weather though, its a culture thing, I am ingrained with the have a nice day mentality, where I think that I must say inane cheerful things, and this includes about the weather, so when someone in the UK complains and apologises to me about the weather, I feel compelled to assure them its great weather.

Rubbish weather, why this is not rubbish weather, its lovely! What a nice rain shower! And I just ADORE getting soaked to the skin without an umbrella or jacket--because you know the sun was shining this morning when I looked out the window, I thought it would be sunny all day!

S

My husband is insanely cheerful and positive. When i hear him describe things we have both done I don't recognise the experience! How sad is that!

B

Alarmingly, I think I have become more interested in the weather the older I've got. I used to worry if it was humid and my hair got frizzy but that was it. Now I find myself starting conversations about the weather out of genuine interest! I will be 30 in November - I reckon that decade is when the weather obsession really kicks in.