choosing journal to publish your paper

E

dear all

i try to publish my research and i really need some advice on how to target the best journal. i would like to publish in good quality journals but i am not sure how i could assess that.
any thoughts?
thanks

J

Have a chat with your supervisor they should be able to tell you the best journals to publish in.

I don't know if anyone else has this at their uni's but lecturers get so many point for publishing in certain journals. The more acclaimed the journal the more points. This mean that they have to obtain a set score each year!!!

S

You should assess the ISI rating of each journal, easiest way to do this is through Web of Knowledge. Its not perfect but it gives a quantitative assessment of the imapact a journal has.

E

thanks a lot guys

S

Yeah, look at the 'impact factor' that the journal is assigned. The other way to look at it is, which journals are you citing from most? These are then probably the most pertinent to your area of work (and for others working in your area who may then want to cite you )

T

talk to your colleague, some journals have very high reputation, then everybody knows that(you will know that as well..)

P

I was on a course re publishing in journals last week and was told the main criteria for assessing a good journal is one that is refereed anonymously. Then if you get in you have got in on your merit alone.

E

thank you all

J

if you read a lot of papers you should be able to work out what standard your work is relative to others.