Citing an author, but reading a different meaning in his article

I hope I can explain this properly. I would be grateful for your opinions.

I read an article within the wider area (but not topic) of my PhD. I am interested in X subject, and the article is about Z. I believe (knowingly or unknowingly) this guy is actually making a great example for the X subject, without even saying anything about the X subject. I would like to make this comment in my thesis. What I am trying to say is a positive thing, not accusing the author for anything. Do you think it would be ok to write this opinion and cite his article?

P

I don't see why not, lots of concepts span disciplines/research areas, as long as you're explicit about it?

Thanks Pup. So if I make it clear that this may not be author's intention in the first place, it should be ok?

F

I agree with Pup, it should be fine.

F

I would probably do as you say and mention that this was not the author's intention but that the idea/ findings may translate well to blah blah...

Thank you fluffymonster. I don't know why I assumed it would be a problem. I even thought about contacting the author for my intentions.

How is your thesis changes going? Is the problem about that extra change sorted now?

F

No problem, I always like to over complicate things myself so may have done the same.

Thanks for asking about the changes. I have done all bar the disputed one. I am hoping to talk to my internal about it today.

good luck with that. Let us know how it goes

N

I don't think it's a problem at all - moreover, I believe it's constantly done in the humanities...

Z

I would've thought it fine to comment on it's generalisability, but i would leave out any claims about the author's intentions (I'd be a bit miffed if someone laid any claim to my intentions, but mebbe that just me!)

Zelda, yes. I think that was my starting point to feel bad about it. Thanks.