claiming Housing Benefit when almost finished/waiting for viva

C

======= Date Modified 24 38 2010 20:38:26 =======
I know that Full Time Students cannot claim Housing Benefit, but that Part-Time students can. I also know that the "writing-up" year is an anaomaly that is difficult to explain to people and account for. My thesis is written and I am available for full time work - in fact I would love a full time job now!

Anyway, I wondered if anybody knew where writing-up / almost completed PhD's stood in this system...can we claim? Obviously the benefits agency will have the definiative answer (probably, no) but it would be interesting to see what others experienced of this...
I have also google searched and come up with the usual: ft student no, part -time yes answer.

I tried looking on the forums using the search function and nothing came up...

I have two casual jobs and they barely pay enough to live on (to be frank, they don't, it is not good right now!) - but generally more than the Job Seekers Allowance limit. I am mneeting my dept head in the week to try and organise some departmental worh which will help...

Anyone had any experience of claiming Housing Benefit whilst writing-up/waiting for the viva?

I feel in a financial limbo and it is not pleasant!

B

If you're waiting for a viva surely you wouldn't count as a full-time student any more, since you're not needing to study for the required number of hours? See http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_for_students

If you are still writing up though, and still studying for 16 hours or more a week, then you would be classed as a full-time. If you've finished and are just waiting for the viva then argue that you're not studying any more. You're waiting for your final exam (oral) results.

C

Thanks Bilbobaggins. I have written the penultimate draft and waiting on my sups to give the final corrections before I submit. I don't work on the thesis for 16 hours a week at present but because I am not waiting for the viva (on paper, of course I AM waiting!!!) it is probably better to leave it rather then put in a fradulent claim. I will have to wait until I submit for the viva - and hope that date comes soon!!

======= Date Modified 24 Apr 2010 23:53:35 =======
hey Chrisrolinski, check this out: http://www.npc.org.uk/media/pn/pn24inhtml/writinguponthedole

you should be able to claim as you are no longer receiving tuition. Maybe not job seeker's allowance as you have a job already, but surely housing benefit due to low income.

L

Hi Chris, you will need to get a letter from your university stating that you are finished your course of study and are awaiting examination. Just call into your research office and ask them to write you one.
Good Luck :-)

C

Thanks. I will need to do that at the end of the month when that is actually the case.

:)