Co-authorship question

M

Hi all.
This is probably a dumb question but I'm intrigued by occasional mentions of co-authorship in this forum. Is it expected that your supervisor/s will be co-authors on any papers that get published during the research?
Cheers, Mog :$

N

Depends a bit on the situation and discipline, but in science it usually does, since PhD students can normally not be PI's, which will mean your sup is the PI and as such will also be listed. Academically, to be listed as a co-author, you need to have done a substantial amount of work for the publication, and to my opinion supervising a PhD student classifies as substantial (I'm in science, so this all might differ in other disciplines)

M

OK! Um, what's a PI? :$

C

Hi Mog
Principal Investigator.

I had a conversation with one of my sups about expectations, got it out in the open.  The expectation was yes .. but as you eek towards the end you may wish to have that conversation again. All depends on the relationship you have with your sup.

Loyalty means a lot.

I would have a chat with your sup.. takes all the guessing out of it.

Good luck with your first paper.  Chuff

N

======= Date Modified 29 Nov 2010 20:32:12 =======
Oh, sorry for that :-) PI stands for primary investigator. He/she is usually the person that has the end-responsibility for the project.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind my sup being co-author, as long as I'm first author 8-)

J

The general consensus is that the first author is the person who did most of the work (ie the PhD student) and the last name is the PI. Anyone else who did something goes in between.

I already have publications in my own name and my PhD has been entirely self conceived and directed so I feel a bit miffed that I have to put my supervisor on publicatiosn but that is the convention.

K

That's the same for me- I write all of the papers by myself, but my sup provides comprehensive feedback and suggestions so she always goes down as the second author/co-author. Even though the work is really mine I'm quite happy as long as I am first listed author, because she does provide a lot of guidance and is always very quick with feedback and suggestions. To be honest, since she is such a big name in her field, I quite like having her name on my papers cos it boosts my profile too! KB