coding data for action research

S

Hello
i am done with data gathering and generation. Now i have mixed data resources that means (interviews, observation notes, meeting minutes, official documentations, etc.). Based on my LR and the conceptual framework i developed i had identified factors that help when looking at the research data. I am not sure if what i am doing is correct or something is missing. I prepared codes before reading the scripts because i am looking for answers for my research questions via themes that are driven from the conceptual framework.
i spent a lot of time reading references about coding but i am confused and worried if my method is correct or not!!
any advice?

Hi there, what you are talking about sounds okay. However, usually once you have completed an initial set of coding, based on your identified themes (from the literature), you would then have further steps to take, depending on which methodology you are using. You would also see, when you code (using your identified themes) whether new material or data. relevant to your research questions are present (themes that don't fit into your preconceived framework) and create codes for these as you may need to explain how these either support or challenge your framework.

Generally, you would not stop at an initial coding and fitting into themes-this process would occur several times, and you would keep reducing and simplifying your list of codes and data into around 6 major themes, which address your research questions and can be discussed in sections.

However, you do need to match this part of the process to your underpinning theory. I would check with your supervisor, usually they have a good grasp of methods and will let you know if you are on track or not. Good luck SU3AD. It can be a confusing process when you are immersed in the data.

PS: I've realised that you said you are using 'action research', as your method? I think once you have collected data and processed and analysed, you have to apply it to your problem and then go through the process again? (To see whether this impacts on the issue). Not sure as haven't used this method. I've used case study and mixed methods-data processing was latent thematic analysis (Braun and Clarke, 2006).