Comments please

E

Ok, I'm a first time poster, previously more of a 'lurker,' and in need of some advice.
I am 19 months into a English PhD and increasingly am losing confidence, as a result of my Supervisor. Although I know that the PhD is my responsibility, I'm increasingly sure I'm not getting 'proper' supervision, but I'd like some advice as to whether I'm being over sensitive?
I'm funded, applied with Topic A, started PhD and Sup went on a sabbatical for 6 months, OK, I didn't have too much other than general reading to do. Then at the end of each term, I needed to produce a set of literature which I didn't receive much constructive feedback on- other than generic 'it lacks focus' 'poor structure.' Still, no bother, I plod on, increasingly aware that my topic seems to be shifting more towards B, something I haven't done and Sup is an expert in. But, still, open mind so ok, on I go.
In the first year, I think I met Sup about 4 times, plus sporadic email contact.
Enter 2nd year, more practical work, research etc, again, little contact with Sup, and first year assessment to upgrade to PhD (a formality.) Sup read the report, over email, no meeting, said 'it should be ok,' I asked her to come to the exam (obliged to by University), she said no 'as I can't say anything.' Still, I turned up, examiners didn't want to do it without Sup there, but ended up having to as she wouldn't answer their calls, I ended up getting dragged over the coals (passed- just!) lots of things missing that maybe my Sup might have indicated to me (maybe I should have known too, fair enough),Sup calls me after it, arranges meeting for 2 weeks later, this never happens.
I plod on , writing research up into draft, substantial piece of work (20,000 words) met with the feedback 'this will be useful.' That was all. Slightly miffed, but still I go on. Sup suggests weekely meeting, great, I think, Turn up dutifully, no Sup. Email saying I must have missed her- nothing. Then Sup invites me to give an informal paper, summarising research in front of other staff. This ends in my complete humilitation,, her cutting me off, answering questions aimed at me, tapping her watch, telling me not to bother reading out a whole section. Cringe. Anways, Sup left without giving any feedback and I emailed later asking for some, in which Sup said it was 'well organised.' Hmmm...
So, carry on writing a chapter and researching, set myself a really ambitious time deadline to do this, sent a few emails over a few weeks with a couple of questions (given the lack of turning up in person), Sup doesn't reply. Submit the work, Sup criticises me for not doing the thing I'd asked her about (actually, one email was answered with a rhetorical question), and just writes 'repeated' all over it. So, Sup isn't the most approachable person, I've lost my confidence and therefore feel like dropping out. I would appreaciate some comments over if I'm being too
a 'lurker,' and in need of some advice. I am 19 months into a English PhD a

L

Hello Epic,

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time with your supervisor !

Do you have a 2nd supervisor or a mentor to whom you could report all this ? I guess, it would be a difficult/brave decision to have to report this to someone else, but at this point, I think you really have to do it. You need help and your supervisor is not doing her job at all !

I know that Universities take complaints of students really seriously so maybe if you write to the officer in charge of the PhD student, he/she could do something. But first, try 2nd sup or mentor.

Good luck ...

E

Thanks Lullaby; I'm so scared of saying something and losing my funding, hence I've let it drag on this long. I'm so glad it's not just me who felt this wasn't great supervision, I thought maybe I was expecting too much or wanting spoon feeding. My second sup is lovely, gives detailed feedback-when they reply! However this is as they are second sup, they also yield to sup one and have published with her (they are more junior) so I think they are likely to fall in line with them; in any case, I wouldn't like to put second sup in an awkward position. I've only had about 4 meetings with them though.

D

I don't think you need to worry about putting your 2nd supervisor in an awkward position- they are there for a reason, and you need to address this before you give up on what you have been doing for the last 19 months.

If you aren't comfortable speaking to your 2nd supervisor, I would speak to student counselling, or something like that, who can maybe tell you more clearly who the best person to report this to would be.

E

Thank you; I'm relieved in a way it is not me being over touchy, but I'm so worried about reporting it, in case my Sup won't continue to Supervise me, nobody else in the Department will, and I effectively get 'sacked' (although I am thinking of leaving, I would like to finish the actual PhD itself at some point)

L

Don't worry about getting 'sacked' ! You won't ! Firstly because your supervisor is not the one judging your PhD ! So don't worry about that.

Here we have training sessions and one is about "how to deal with supervisor" :p and they clearly advised us to report it if anything was wrong ... because if it happens with you, it will happen with other students later.

Hope you'll get some help ...

E

Thank you I guess I'm just worried that if I complain, Sup won't want to manage me anymore (not sure I want her to tbh!) and there will either be nobody else to do it, or I might be seen as a trouble maker. Has anybody had any experience of this?

L

Hi Epic,

It sounds like you've had a rough ride over the last 19 months - I would definitely complain to someone. Either, like Lullaby said, your second supervisor, or the student counselling service. Is there a pastoral person for your department that you can speak to? At my uni, we have an independent member of staff whom we can contact with any queries about supervision. Failing that, do you have a postgraduate centre or a research unit? You need to get away from this person - but DON'T quit! It's not your fault, your sup is entirely to blame. They must be able to find you someone else. Or perhaps you have someone in mind you could approach? Either way, this person shouldn't be a PhD supervisor.

Sorry for the jumbled reply - I'm writing up at the moment and I'm finding it hard to think straight!

L

p.s. I just wanted to add that even if your sup doesn't want to supervise you any more, I know someone who was without a main sup for over a year and she didn't get asked to leave. So don't worry! You won't get sacked. It makes them look bad if they have students that either leave or don't complete.

E

Thank you all so much for replying, I really appreciate the fact that although I haven't posted before, you've all taken time to help me. I spoke to a PhD liason yesterday, who told me the same as you (and what deep down I knew) and said they would be willing to approach the head of school and try and get me a new Sup. So, being the coward that I am, I am 95% sure this is what will happen (have arranged to call in Monday morning), still a little bit of me that worries about the implications, but with all your advice, and the University's advice, I'm finally beginning to see that I should have done this a lot earlier and if the University can't find me another Supervisor, and so I have to leave, then that is unlikely and unreasonable. Thank you :-)

L

This is great news :) I'm sure you will feel a bit relieved ;)
Let us know what happened next !!
Really happy for you !! (up)

C

Hi, I'm mostly a lurker on here as well and I do hope you will get positive results soon. Like you, I'm also a second-year humanities student. I have a really diligent supervisor and I consult him about once a month (he says I should start consulting him twice monthly now !) I think the onus is really on your uni now to provide you with a better supervisor, someone who can actually motivate you to work harder. Don't worry you won't be sacked ! Good luck and hang in there !

E

Thank you :-) It's only when you hear about the good ones that you realise how far off the mark mine has been :-( I sent her emails, over 4 weeks, with the progress of a chapter I was doing, eg what I'd read, asking a couple of questions; didn't reply, then berated me for not including something I'd queried in one of the emails! ;-(

E

Quote From lindalou83:

Hi Epic,

It sounds like you've had a rough ride over the last 19 months - I would definitely complain to someone. Either, like Lullaby said, your second supervisor, or the student counselling service. Is there a pastoral person for your department that you can speak to? At my uni, we have an independent member of staff whom we can contact with any queries about supervision. Failing that, do you have a postgraduate centre or a research unit? You need to get away from this person - but DON'T quit! It's not your fault, your sup is entirely to blame. They must be able to find you someone else. Or perhaps you have someone in mind you could approach? Either way, this person shouldn't be a PhD supervisor.

Sorry for the jumbled reply - I'm writing up at the moment and I'm finding it hard to think straight!

Thank you LL, it's good to hear it's not me imagining it (I believed this was the case for ages!) good luck with the writing up! :-)

E

Ok, update...

I spoke to the Head of School and she's told me that I need to speak to my Sup, face to face, to set out my problems with her and try and resolve the relationship, before they can try and find me somebody else (they've discounted both my alternative sup suggestions for various reasons). They offered to be in the room, or reluctantly to speak to her for me, but all with the aim of maintaining the relationship, which I think will be ten times worse now the Sup will know I've complained about her.

I completely understand the logic of getting me to speak to my Sup, but feel that if I had a good enough relationship to have spoken to her, I would already have done this. Also, I don't feel it is my place to instruct my Sup how to supervise me, as that's their job and I'm sure she knows. So, stalemate at the moment; I've got to meet the HoS next week and decide what I want them to do. I'm seriously thinking of quitting.