complaints against staff

M

My boyfriend is a fairly junior lecturer at the same university as me (yet in a different field). He's having major problems with an MSc student of his. From my point of view, it's more of a personality clash than anything else. The email exchange between them is fairly ridiculous- there is a lot of miscommunication. This student seems to have a wealth of problems and on top of that, my bf thinks she is not up to scratch. He told me this weeks ago. Now we've found out that she has complained about him. Said he's a terrible supervisor, has given her bad advice, and my bf is now being investigated. A discipline meeting with his head of dept. is going to go ahead. He's completely stressed about this and seems to think it will jeopardise his reputation/ job. Has any one had any experience of this kind of complaint?

R

Hi Maria,

I have had something similar, albeit in a different setting. I know the feeling and know that these things can be very upsetting and disturbing.

I think it is very important for your boyfriend to take this very seriously. Unfortunately it seems to be that "who complained first" has got more chance of being believed, and therefore vice versa the one who is on the receiving end may find it hard to "win" the case.

I think it is important that your boyfriend collects a much written evidence as possible proving that he did provide adequate supervision (e.g. supervision reports, work that has been a achieved with the student, feedback given to the student etc.).

Also, I think it is often wise to provide an apology: Not that he admits that he has done something wrong, but more as acknowledging the complaint. Something like: I am sorry to hear that Miss .... is unhappy regarding my supervision etc.

Finally if there is something like a formal hearing it is wise for him not to be on his own, but to have a friend on his side.

D

Hi,

Is he a member of UCU by any chance? It might be worth getting in contact with them either way.

M

Thanks, I'll speak to him about it. It just seems so ridiculous - a few emails taken out of context and a bit of a personality clash. I can't give too many details obviously but I really think it's all just a big misunderstanding. It actually made me think about how much I dislike my own supervisor and that i might give him a break from now on!

K

Hey Maria! I haven't been the subject of this type of complaint, but I did have a complaint put in about my PhD study a few months ago- to do with the recruitment process (my participants are recruited through the NHS and are a vulnerable group of people). Basically a relative of a potential participant didn't like the way in which the project was recruiting and put in a complaint straight to the head of school. I was mortified and had visions of being thrown off my PhD etc! The details are really irrelevant here, but the fact was my supervisor and everyone within the School who had to get involved were all extremely supportive and non-judgemental. They checked the facts out- everyone involved had complied with the conditions approved by the NHS ethical team so no-one was in trouble, but despite the fact we were deemed to have done nothing wrong, we did have to write a letter of apology to the relative and change our recruitment procedures, and then it all blew over very quickly. I'm sure that your boyfriend will be given the opportunity to have his say in the issue, and I'm sure that the department will be very supportive and not judge him without all of the facts. Possibly the best thing to do is for him to try to be constructive- even if he's done nothing wrong, sometimes an apology and a practical way forward to address the problem are what is required in this sort of situation. Hopefully it won't be blown out of proportion and will be resolved without too much hassle- try not to panic! Hope it goes well, KB

I would make sure all the email communication is kept. I find that emails with 'stroppy' students can get quickly heated. Its much better to get them to come along to your office - make sure there is another colleague in the room, and give them 'appropriate feedback' about their behaviour and their work. This has worked wonders for several demanding students I've had. They appreciate it because they are essentially attention seekers and if they don't get their own way they kick up a fuss.

D

hey maria,
I was in a similar situation last term, when a few of my first year students complained at student council with the head of subject about my approach to tutorials. They felt that the fact that I was dividing them up into groups to do a close analysis of the text and then discuss was not helpful and that they were not gaining any further information (they were basically saying that I was a crap tutor although not in so many words) Fortunately I have been tutoring for nearly 4 years and have also covered sabbatical leave of one of the longest standing professors in the department who specifically asked that I cover her leave, correcting and lecturing and setting exam questions etc. (and have received very positive feedback in the past) so the department were supportive, knowing that students in the run up to exams can be picky and try and find any excuse to appeal a fail. They know that if they lodge a complaint in advance of the exam there is greater grounds for appeal afterward as they can claim (in this case) my 'poor' tutoring.
It didnt work, however, as the other students at student council responded straight away that they felt the close reading of the text was more helpful than a mini-lecture would have been and actually said to the first students (in front of the head of subject) that perhaps if they had involved themselves more in the class and discussion they would have gained more from the classes.
All this was reported back to me by the module coordinator and head of subject, not in an accusatory way but more of a warning that the students may try to pursue the matter if they didnt do well. I never heard anything else about it, and some students dropped out after xmas. (no way of knowing but I cant help wondering if there is a link).
Anyway, what the experience taught me is that the department will usually have your back, esp if they can see that the student is not a very diligent one, that they will take into consideration the relationship with other students and past record of teaching etc. They are probably following protocol, so while he should take it seriously, he should hopefully rest assured that the department will support him in the long run, esp if he has a strong track record to lean on!
I agree that he should compile as much 'evidence' of good support to back up his defense and that he should perhaps also see can he ask other students to act as a character reference?
Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome!
dee