Conferences!

B

I was just wondering how many conferences you went to/are going to go to during your PhD? Also, did you do them in 1st/2nd/3rd year? I've just started my PhD and have been asked by my sup to produce a rough timetable of the next three years, including conferences! I'm in social sciences, more specifically education, if that makes any difference!

Thanks a lot!

B

I went to 1 conference, international (Canada), just under 2 years into my 6-year part-time PhD. So I guess it would be equivalent of towards the end of 1st year full-time PhD.

I would have liked to have gone to a few more, but I'm severely disabled, and have a progressive neurological disease. I managed to attend this one, but became too disabled afterwards.

I was a history student.

S

======= Date Modified 11 Nov 2010 12:12:29 =======
I did my first one at the end of my first year, but this was work from my masters degree and I didn't feel ready to present my PhD work by then!
I presented at 2 during my 2nd year and have another coming up in December.

I'm umming and ahhing about whether to bother with any others, 4 seems like plenty to me!

Edited to add I also attended one International conference in germany which I didn't present at...

K

Hey Button! I'm in psychology, so not too different to you! I think it depends when you feel as though you have something worth presenting really. I didn't present at any conferences in first year as I was mainly focusing on the theoretical background and ethics etc for my project, and certainly didn't have any results to present (although some people do go to conferences and present what they are going to do next, or their theoretical framework or something!). In my second year I presented at 2 fairly large UK conferences in London and Cardiff (2 powerpoint presentations based on results to date). I have just started third year now and am off to the USA next week to a massive conference in my area, where I am doing 2 presentations based on my results. It helped me to start off with a couple of less scary conferences in the UK before heading off to America, and it also helped me to present results that I was confident about and interested in! I would try to build in a conference or two in second and third year, and maybe do a departmental one first if possible to give you a bit of practise. It is possible to present in first year if you want to though- a friend in the same team as me presented her lit review as a poster presentation at an international conference in her first year! Good luck! KB

B

Dear ALL

Am in 1st year of my BiotechPhD and I would like to know the following:
1) Is that we approach with results of our research for conferences?
or
2) They invite us to give conferences?

Any 1 Could you please help how to approach in giving conferences?

Thanks
Biotech