Confused Australian - need info on PhD in UK

J

Ok, this might get a bit complicated:

I am interested in studying in England. I am Australian, but I have an EU passport so if I studied I would considered under EU conditions.

I have just completed my Bachelor of Biomedical Science. It seems to me that in England you can complete your Bachelor degree with Honours, but here in Australia you have to do a separate 1 year research degree after your Bachelor to get this. Then you become eligible for a PhD, providing you did well enough.

What I want to know is, if I complete my Honours, will I be able to go into a PhD course in England? I'm confused, because from what it seems in England you complete your Bachelor WITH Honours, and then you do your Masters and then your PhD. But in Australia you do your Bachelor and Honours separate, and then go straight to PhD - you only do Masters if you did terribly in your Honours and need to better your mark to get accepted into PhD.

As if this wasn't long enough - if I didn't do my Honours here and went straight to UK with just my Bachelor in Biomedical Science, what options would I have? What study could/would I undertake to get to PhD?

Thank you so much if you read this and help me understand!

B

I think you'd be best to contact universities where you are considering studying to ask them directly. Differences between international degrees are complex, and policies will vary by university.

D

Janajanka,

There is no one set rule as to the entry criteria into UK PhD programs. It varies by department and supervisor.

There are also a range of different ways to obtain a PhD such as those with taught compulsory components before starting work on the thesis proper, MPhil with transfer to Phd, thesis based upon publication or thesis only. It may be that some of these are more suitable for those with different experiences/qualifications on entry.

If you are keen to study for a PhD in the UK you would be well advised to contact university departments accepting PHd students with a track record in your chosen area.