Confusion about major revisions

H

Hi, I really hope that someone can help me understand the examination results. Today I received my results from my examination (I am based in Australia), and I have been told that I have major revisions to make to my thesis. The university has given me six months to get these amendments done.

What I am confused about is that my supervisory panel has written to me, congratulating me on a good outcome and that I have not long to go now. I thought that a" good outcome" would be either no amendments necessary or minor revisions. How exactly are major revisions a good outcome? And does a six-month deadline for the changes to be made indicate how bad my thesis was? My stomach has been hurting since I read the email.

P

Quote From Hopeful75:
Hi, I really hope that someone can help me understand the examination results. Today I received my results from my examination (I am based in Australia), and I have been told that I have major revisions to make to my thesis. The university has given me six months to get these amendments done.

What I am confused about is that my supervisory panel has written to me, congratulating me on a good outcome and that I have not long to go now. I thought that a" good outcome" would be either no amendments necessary or minor revisions. How exactly are major revisions a good outcome? And does a six-month deadline for the changes to be made indicate how bad my thesis was? My stomach has been hurting since I read the email.

You still passed your viva (or final examination, whatever you call it in Australia), so it's a very positive outcome. You should be very proud of that achievement, and the revisions are only to make the final submission the best it can possibly be.
As for the 6 month deadline, I believe that's relatively standard for anyone who needs to do minor or major revisions, but I'm not 100% sure.

P

A good outcome is passing your Viva which you have done.
Congratulations.

Major revision just means you have a lot of changes to bring it up to the necessary standard to have it published. Nobody cares about this sort of thing but it can dent your confidence a bit to be told you have major corrections.
It probably won't take you 6 months and honestly I would just swallow your disappointment and get it finished so you can move onto the next stage of your life.

H

After getting over the initial disappointment of being told "major changes", I realised that it could have been worse. So, time for me to put on my big girl pants and start working on the suggested changes.