Considering a postdoc abroad...

G

Hi,

I'm around 9 months from submitting my thesis and talking about postdoc options recently with my supervisor. He has recommended I apply for postdoc funding available to work elsewhere in Europe (I'm in the UK).

The positions are usually for 12 to 24 months and look like a fantastic opportunity to boost my career. The only thing holding me back is the fact that my long-term partner works locally and would want/be able to move away with me.

Does anyone have any experience of working away from their partners for short periods and any advice? I've only ever been in situations where I'm away from my partner for up to 3 weeks at a time. If I was to take up a postdoc position in Europe I could probably only come home for a long weekend every 6 to 8 weeks (I'm foreseeing).

Thanks for reading

GM

M

My husband worked away from home (abroad) for three years, straight after we got married. He used to come back every weekend (it was a two hour flight). It's manageable as long as you trust each other. After a while it may get frustrating though. Good luck with everything!

G

Thanks Marasp, it's reassuring to hear that it has worked for others. If I could come home every weekend I would definitely consider it as we probably won't get much time together in the week either way.

For now at least I've been honest with my supervisor and said that I'd prefer to stay in the UK for the next couple of years. I just don't want to miss out on big opportunities abroad if I can find a balance.

M

Quote From GrumpyMule:
Thanks Marasp, it's reassuring to hear that it has worked for others. If I could come home every weekend I would definitely consider it as we probably won't get much time together in the week either way.

For now at least I've been honest with my supervisor and said that I'd prefer to stay in the UK for the next couple of years. I just don't want to miss out on big opportunities abroad if I can find a balance.

If your partner is sympathetic, he/she will understand. After all, partners are supposed to encourage us and motivate us if they really love us. It's a matter of managing your free time with your partner. If you do go abroad, just make sure that when you are with your partner, that's it, every thing else is irrelevant and can wait until the following working day.

G

Good advice, thanks Mara. It is definitely something that we will weigh up between us and I'm not going to rule out. I guess I'm just conscious that I'm very often putting the PhD first and want to strike a balance and be a good researcher and a good partner! Quality time together is definitely important, I agree.