Countdown to final draft - Last month of writing-up.

J

Sun 15 -DONE.
Mon 16 – Read through Ch. 3 -7 to get picture of whole thesis
Tue 17- DONE.
Wed 18 – DONE
Thur 19 – DONE
Fri 20 – DONE
Sat 21 – Polish final draft of ch.2 incorporate previous ch.2 and finish references.
Sun 22 – Address remaining supervisors corrections
Mon 23 –Address remaining supervisors corrections
Tue 24- Address remaining supervisors corrections (including V.)
Wed 25 – Finish methodology referencing.
Thur 26- Proofread & tighten definitions in Ch.1 & 2
Fri 27- Proofread & finish referencing in Ch.3 &4
Sat 28 - Proofread & finish referencing in Ch.5&6
Sun 29- Proofread ch. 7 alongside ch.1 & read through preliminary pages & format.
Mon 30- DONE.
---------

I will streamline chapter 2 tomorrow and make sure it flows with the new literature reviews in place and complete references as planned.

J

I feel so tired today... I may take the day off if I don't stop feeling this way.

Anyhow.. back to today's intended task - preparing a final draft of Ch.2.

J

I managed to get a good chunk of Ch.2 finished but took Sunday off because I was really tired and needed to refresh for the week.

Today I have a very ambitious timetable to catch up:

Sat 21 – Polish final draft of ch.2 incorporate previous ch.2 and finish references.

This is what I need to do to catch up.

So I will organise my time as follows:

12noon - 3pm: finish Ch.2 content and checking flow.

4pm -6pm: Finish Ch.2 references.

7pm -11pm: Address some of the remaining supervisors corrections in Ch.3.

J

Today has been a disaster expectations-wise and i've only managed to correct one bit of the work (which is not supervisor's corrections) but updating my theoretical framework. My supervisor had said it was ok, but i didn't feel good about it and was not happy facing a viva with it so I decided to improve it. it turns out am still improving it.

A reasonable goal would be I will finish it tomorrow morning (later today - 24) but that upsets my timetable:

Sun 15 -DONE.
Mon 16 – Read through Ch. 3 -7 to get picture of whole thesis
Tue 17- DONE.
Wed 18 – DONE
Thur 19 – DONE
Fri 20 – DONE
Tue 24- Address remaining supervisors corrections (including V.)
Wed 25 – Finish methodology referencing.
Thur 26- Proofread & tighten definitions in Ch.1 & 2
Fri 27- Proofread & finish referencing in Ch.3 &4
Sat 28 - Proofread & finish referencing in Ch.5&6
Sun 29- Proofread ch. 7 alongside ch.1 & read through preliminary pages & format.
Mon 30- DONE.

am four days late and i may have to start giving up some things or thinking of handing in a week later which is not ideal! my formal submission date is 30th and the aim was to finish by 1st to give my supervisor 2 weeks to read it and allow one week if i have to change anything. then submit on time. but it now looks like i will have to give up the luxury of the extra week to correct anything because referencing and bibliography is turning out to be work and before then I can focus on content! besides my supervisor requires that i hand in, in early sept - maybe Monday the 6th?

Anyhow, I will try and push for the first because it is the sensible thing to do. And keep that option open if i totally cannot meet it. After doing my supervisors corrections I will prioritise referencing which is stressing me the most!

i had planned to do my revision in four weeks. including the extra week that would be 5 weeks. therefore the 6 weeks they recommend is pretty reasonable in hind sight.

my aim after correcting content is to present it well so that form justifies content. i need all the help i can get to pass. first impressions included!

off to bed now. too tired to do more.

J

hi all.

today is going quite well and i might actually meet today's targets earlier than expected. the hardest part so far is 'losing the juicy bits of the work.' the parts which i consider good but which could earn me a whipping in the viva. those bits that do not add much value but make the text more exciting if one gets the joke. sigh.. the rule: less is more is the most painful lesson of revision phase.

Lesson: less is more.

At this point am preparing the text for my examiners not for myself so I have to let go of some good bits to which i have developed a personal attachment and prepare the most formal text i can. :-(

i suppose i can still include the private joke in my book later.8-)

J

======= Date Modified 25 Aug 2010 18:16:23 =======
wow, i feel so relieved! ch.2 is done and dusted. at least at present i feel that i can pass with it. i didn't manage to finish yesterday because i ended up doing everything else but my thesis after posting. my biggest hurdle remains my referencing and bibliography. but before i turn to it, i need to deal with supervisors corrections and format the thesis as i go along. formating a document on Ms Word is a whole course in itself!

Tips: 1) start formating early at least at the start of the last term latest to avoid a lot of stress in the revision phase. 2) finish all your references before handing in work to your supervisor. it will help a great deal in the end.

taking a break now. will be back later tonight. am hoping for a miraculous cruise through chapter 3 which has the remaining supervisors comments to be done in a day or so.

fingers crossed!

J

Mixed feelings about today...

The bad part is I have made some sad discoveries - that new guidelines on part of my research have been published prompting me to put a dating in my thesis but also adding to any work I may have to do if I want to publish. That has affected motivation a little knowing am revising outdated stuff. But with a week to go, I can't do much about that. My plan is to know the effect of the new guidelines by the time I have my viva. :-(

The good part is I have achieved much:

1) I have been able to proofread and format Ch.1 - therefore, including Ch.2, so far I have proofread about 80 pages of the thesis which is about 270 pages without the bibliography.

2) I made the amazing realisation that I did not need to do more work on the methodology as I have defended it quite well already! Yipee!!!!!!! :-)

3) I have started work on Ch.3 and addressed two of my supervisors corrections. I have also been able to get hold of a lecturer to advise on some of the corrections and therefore I will be working tonight (this time for real!) so that they have the questions that I need assistance with by tomorrow.

I would be so glad if I finished answering all these questions by Friday (which is tomorrow! i don't understand how this week ended!) and if by Monday I would finish correcting content and have the thesis content ready for submission. I will take a few extra days though to sort out my referencing and Bibliography.

I also feel the urgency to submit and get on with looking at this new guidelines and probably just update one of my chapters and make it the 'hottest' publication going round on the guidelines and in so doing turn this doom into a good thing! 8-)

I feel a little unwell - i can't believe that PMS won't spare me this month! :-( For this I will be on a cocktail of drugs because I cannot afford extra days off!

Leaving the library now. All the best everyone!

J

Been unwell for the past 4 days... just getting back to work today. Hope to be done in a week's time. Today I will finish working on supervisor's corrections in Ch.3.

J

things are actually going very well - am almost done with Ch.3. i discussed a few things with a lecturer who was really helpful and i feel better now.

the problem is am so 'panicked'. been on FB for the last hour! just thinking about how to do it all by the end of today. anyhow.. the best thing is to get on with it. then hopefully in the end i can finish and hand in and forget all about the horror of thesis writing.

am going to divide my time this way: 4 questions to answer - a question an hour. when am done with this, i will only have 1 question left to address and definitions and i can consider myself done! yipee!!!!!!! but until then.... we keep pressing on.

J

Question 1 down - 3 to go!

J

I need miraculous productivity today - didn't finish the 3 questions! the plan is:

Leave for library now.

1.30 - 5pm: -finish question 2. Involves listening to two lectures and going through notes and ch. 3 and 4.

6pm - 7pm: - finish question 3 & 4 - these ones are much smaller.

come home and have dinner

9pm - 12am - tighten definitions & STO lit.

Saturday:

1pm -4pm:-proofread ch.4

5pm -8pm:-proofread ch.5 & address final supervisors correction (the one addressed in part)

come home.. have dinner

10pm - late:- proofread ch. 6 & 7 - incorporating final supervisors correction

Sunday: - concentrate on referencing - go through footnotes filling in incomplete ones.

1pm - 2pm : Chapter 1

2pm - 3pm: Ch.2

3pm - 4pm: Ch.3

break

5pm-6pm: Ch.4

6pm -7pm: Ch. 5

7pm- 8pm: Ch. 6 & 7, check page breaks.

come home.. snack. take a nap.

Monday: 1am - 6am : -Do Acronyms page, shorten references and perfect bibliograpy - commas and that.

7am -10am - check that lists are complete.

11am -2pm: go thro to do lists and do anything else that needs to be done.

2pm - hand in final thesis for supervisor approval. don't forget to check and correct final wordcount.

2.15pm - SLEEP... and wake up with my life back! woohoo!

and so help me God.:$

J.

N

======= Date Modified 03 Sep 2010 13:52:54 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
things are actually going very well - am almost done with Ch.3. i discussed a few things with a lecturer who was really helpful and i feel better now.
*edited because of advertising*
the problem is am so 'panicked'. been on FB for the last hour! just thinking about how to do it all by the end of today. anyhow.. the best thing is to get on with it. then hopefully in the end i can finish and hand in and forget all about the horror of thesis writing.

am going to divide my time this way: 4 questions to answer - a question an hour. when am done with this, i will only have 1 question left to address and definitions and i can consider myself done! yipee!!!!!!! but until then.... we keep pressing on.

N

======= Date Modified 03 Sep 2010 13:52:29 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Leave the house and spend day in the library. That will help me get into the zone, even if i get nothing done.
* Think positively - ofcourse I will pass. sigh..
* Do something.
*edited for advertising*

To-do list: Start addressing supervisor's comments and be done with them by Day 7.

J

have managed to complete all 3 questions! yipee!!! smiling my way home. will be doing definitions later. :-)

J

@newscctv - please PM me and let me know what i advertised?