Cover Letter for academic position

H

Hi all,

I'm currently applying for a position in my department. I've been in academia so long, however, that I've forgotten a few simple truths of job applications! One of which is: how many pages can a cover letter be? It's clocked in at 2.5 pages. Is that too long? I'm going to try and narrow it to 2, but even then - should I be keeping it at 1?

Aargh! This used to be so simply. Damn you academia for turning me into a pathetic shell of myself!

Best,

H

Is there a personal statement type section in the job application? If so, then I'd reckon no more than one page for a covering letter. If not, two tops, but make sure anything mega important is in the first couple of paragraphs.

S

hi halochanter,
my cover letters take only 1 page--because there's the application form which asks pretty much the same thing, and there's a CV to include again :-)

hope you get the position!
love satchi

H

Thanks guys!

Well the application is split into the following: CV, cover letter, and 2 answers to questions in regards to the research project. So should I not be banging on about my degree/MA/conferences/publications if they're already on my CV?

Best,

Halo

H

At the end of the day you want to make the application reviewer's job easy. So in your cover letter don't simply duplicate stuff they can see elsewhere on your CV. Do, however, use it to highlight stuff that might get missed, is particularly relevant to the post, or enhances what is on your CV by giving additional details that you can't find a home for elsewhere.

e.g. "My degree in [X] makes me a suitable candidate for this post" strikes me as a bit redundant, while "Researching topic [Y] for my degree in [X] gave me an insight into [Z] which would enhance my ability to carry out this role." may be more useful

B

Halo, if you haven't already use the language of the 'essential and desirable criteria' in the job description. The function of the cover letter or statement is to show how you meet them.

S

I agree, 2.5 pages is too long - I would keep it to a max of 1 page. Your CV (which should also be as short as possible, 1 or 2 pages ideally) should have all the important info, and the cover letter simply picks out specific parts of your CV and relates them to the specific job you are applying for (as described above by HazyJane and bewildered).
I am currently involved in the recruitment process at the company I work for, and long-winded cover letters and CVs just make everyone groan :) Keep it short and to the point, or people will lose interest in reading it!

H

Thanks guys, you've all been extremely helpful. Much appreciated.
Best wishes,

Halo

S

I've always been told academic cover letters should be slightly longer than the usual 1 page - mine was about 2 sides and I don't think I could have made it any shorter - but then the jobs I've gone for have only asked for cover letter and CV - I guess if there was a job application to fill in as well, it would probably be shorter.