Covering letter question

K

======= Date Modified 28 Feb 2011 13:33:46 =======
I recently finished my PhD and am applying for all relevant posts that come up. What are your thoughts on the newish online applications? I fill in the application and attach a cv but I'm never sure whether or not to attach a traditional covering letter these days. A lot of the information you would put in a covering letter now has to be included in the supporting info section of the application form. Do other people repeat the information or discard the covering letter altogether?

Any advice would be appreciated

C

Hi Kaymoy.  I would definitely. It gives you the opportunity to make it explicit how you fit with the specific organisation, team, post etc. Miss it, miss out i say.  Chuff

I know what you mean - I've usually used up all my amazingness in the 'personal statement' section of an application form and don't want to seem silly by repeating it. In these cases I often put a line or two about how I think I'd really fit and more info can be found in my personal statement about my skills and blah blah blah.

W

I agree with Chuff here. As a job seeker myself, I find a cover letter a really nice opportunity to personalise and target my application, and ally my skills and particular experiences with the demands for a particular position. It's also a good opportunity to show off your writing skills - only 1 page mind you.

K

Thanks all for your advice. Yes, you're right. Definitely better to use it as an opportunity than lose out. I'll stick to the facts for the application form and use the letter to show how I complement the research interests of the department and target the thing more specifically. Sometimes you just need an outside voice to tell you what should already be obvious!