curious

S

hi everyone
In my lab, almost all my lab-mates do not believe in God.
I'm just curious about this (and will not make any judgement of your answer)
I also don't want to start a debate.

thanks
love satchi

S

wow I am surprised, now it's 71% response for "no"
can someone tell me, how do I know how many people have clicked on the poll?
love satchi

C

I don't know if there is an official way to tell how many have voted but my vote for no changed the percent from 65 to 67. I'm sure the algebra to work out votes from that isn't too hard except it's midnight!

S

I know it is not meant to turn into a debate. But really, i don't find it at all surprising that most people voted no.

S

Again, not debating at all, but just an observation that the percentage of 'no' is actually what I'd expect it to be, if anything a little lower. We're quite a spiritual lot when taking the general academic community into consideration :-)

P

Even I'd expected a higher percentage of No actually!

======= Date Modified 12 Jul 2010 10:43:51 =======
Don't believe in god, I personally like the idea of viking/greek type gods i.e. blokes with hammers and lightening bolts - it seems like a better explanation than boring meteorological stuff - BORING!

I asked my greek friend if people in greece still belived in zuess etc. and she said people who said that would be committed to a mental asylum - why?? its the same as believing in Jesus IMO.

C

Quote From catalinbond:

I don't know if there is an official way to tell how many have voted but my vote for no changed the percent from 65 to 67. I'm sure the algebra to work out votes from that isn't too hard except it's midnight!

Today I worked it out, at the time of my voting 18 (including myself) had voted with 12 votes for "no". It's about where I'd have expected it to be. Think if the poll was done in the general public the yes vote would be surpirisingly high, think a lot of people do kinda believe in god even though church attendance is pretty low.

S

Quote From sneaks:

I asked my greek friend if people in greece still belived in zuess etc. and she said people who said that would be committed to a mental asylum - why?? its the same as believing in Jesus IMO.

So true!

P

I think the no is roughly at the right level (it's where I voted too) for general academia. There was a paper, and there's a book somewhere on the levels of atheism versus theism in Academia and what not, and it was about a 70/30 split between there.

It's just something about the mind set I think, especially in research, that doesn't synch up well with complete belief. We're empiricists by nature, and wouldn't take any assertions in our area of interest on blind faith alone, so it's not too suprising that it extends to other areas.

S

wow! its 65% for "no" now and increase to 21% for yes
thank you so much for all your votes :-)

maybe it has to do with higher education; so negative correlation between higher education and belief in God :-)
no debate intended, thanks
love satchi the novice statistic-er

S

Quote From sneaks:

Don't believe in god, I personally like the idea of viking/greek type gods i.e. blokes with hammers and lightening bolts -.

sneaks this reminds of the TV series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand"
have you seen it? when I watched the pilot I thought it was so gory and the setting so fake.
but later the plot in the story grew, I finished watching ALL the episodes.
In the end, Spartacus killed everybody.
Don't know what happened after that.

love satchi