Damn you World Cup!!

P

Anyone else battling the lure of the world cup? Im an England supporter, and there's a monster game tomorrow v Germany....(as well as 28 degrees and beautiful sun :-()...

Im stuck inside, pastey white- writing my methodology chapter....

COME ON ENGLAND ,-)

D

Take a break, don't worry about it 8-)

J

Husband and so are loving it but as I hate football I am getting lots of PhD stuff done

I

My PhD has suffered sooooo much over the world cup, I have seen every game and since I live in Aus the games are on at 2330 and 0400 every day :) but it is worth it only comes around once every 4 years!!! Makes me emotional just thinking about it (up)(up)

S

I'm not a football fan; soccer to me looks like the greenery outside when the train is moving
:-)
People in my lab turn on the big screen to watch the live telecasts EVERY SINGLE GAME :-)
they don't miss anything!

thats fine with me as long as its not loud; nobody is drinking beer, eating peanuts and nobody is making a lot of noise HAHAHA

love satchi

W

England 1, Germany 4. Alan Shearer spitting feathers on the BBC. What a way to go out of the World Cup.

rubbish! Although, it does mean that I don't have to go round to hubby's family's local for every game and sit with a load of jeering obese men who think its appropriate to go topless and display their many tattoos. I have studied their little sub culture though, and it appears it is controlled by the orange bag-like ladies who turn up at 7pm from a day sunning themselves on the beach (its a seaside town). Its like the more orange and the more leathery they look, the more respect they can command.

M

Well... I bet on Germany to win this match so I'm happy. Didn't expect England to make it quite so easy for them though. (down)

S

I'm hiding my head in shame - awful, just awful, although I'm still spitting feathers about that Lampard goal! Something needs to be done about that and fast, and I'd say the same if the Germans had been put in that position - it would have been very different going for the winner rather than going for yet another equaliser. And yes, I'm sad, I've watched every game apart from yesterday when I was adoring Bon Jovi at the O2 lol. I hate football, never watch it, but love the world cup :-) Goooooo espana!!!

J

I didn't watch it - nipped out to do a bit of shopping but got a goal by goal update by phone from my husband (think he was confusing me with someone who cared but the ladies in M&S were glad of the updates). Chatted to an old university friend who moved to Spain from SAfrica a year ago - when they lived their her husband promised their daughters they would see England so he and two teenagers flew out last week for the game - the three of them were spotted on Spanish and Irish tv in the crowd but their mum was on the loo and missed it!

If England had got the the final I would have watched it but I'm glad we can have some normality back in our lives.

W

I don't usually read this paper, but this article about the match is quite funny. Look at the optical illusions picture: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290060/World-Cup-2010-Virals-hit-internet-fans-react-fury-Frank-Lampards-disallowed-goal.html

As we (Engalnd) are out, I am favouring Argentina, my maternal, ancestoral home. Up the Argies!!!

B

Well at least from this point onwards, the matches will be of some decent quality, so it won't be such a waste ... some of the first round matches were about as enjoyable as sitting in a conference with a hangover and you're up next!

And if you are worried about not doing work, for any of ye studying Economics, here ya go ...
http://www.jstor.org/stable/3083302?seq=1

C

I was not so sad that my adopted emotional homeland won the other day, hee hee ;)