defining a research topic

P

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to write up a proposal for a phd in drama. I've had an informal interview and the lecturer asked me to put into writing what I plan to do (in 750 words). She suggested books, which I've read and several others which I found myself. My problem is that I can't seem to narrow down the area that I need to study. The more books I read the more broad my interests seem to become. Does anyone know how specific the proposal has to be or can it be very general? For example, do I need to have an actual title at this stage?

J

I needed to do a very specific proposal with aims, methodology and justification all tied down even though it will change. Every one tells me though that the final PhD will be quite different.

I
P

Thank you for the link. Will try it out. x

V

Helo Pollyd

The link is good because it deals with the essential points. Also, have a look at: Andrews, R. 2003. Research questions. London: Continuum. ISBN 0-826476-9. This will focus your thoughts on what you want to discover ~ and it avoids giving 'aims', 'purposes', 'objectives' that are seldom precise or met.INSTEAD ~ What is the gap in knowldge that you expect to contribute to, and how do you propose to do that? Answering those questions will give you a focus if set in appropriate theoretical perspectives. How many words are now left over . . . . ?
Best wishes vernon trafford (up)