Depressed with PhD

A

I am an international student who joined PhD in engineering in one of the top institutes in US. After 3 months into the program, I really don't like the whole aspect of doing PhD and it has led me into a sort of depression and I feel that life has become a drag and I feel that I have become extremely unhappy ever since I joined the PhD. I have a strong urge to quit my program and return back to my country.

These are my reasons why I feel that I should quit

1. Not any more enthusiastic about studies
Having difficulty in concentrating, maybe do not want to study for another 5/6/7 yrs, I feel that I have tricked myself into joining since it was a great opportunity and I did not want to let go of it.

2. Hating reading research papers
Very boring, even did not start off with a lot of enthusiasm,

3. Do not like the environment of the lab, everyone seems to remain frightened
Everybody says it will take a loooong time
U only get vacation when u have very good results ( which is extremely rare )
There is no guarantee of future
I am not enjoying my research
There was a case where a student, after 8 yrs, did not get a phd
Funding can get stopped any time, happened with a few students.
Have to work like hell

4. It will take 6 -7 years, not sure if I want to commit myself for such a long period of time

5. Want to join industry, I am straight out of my undergrad, maybe I want to experience job scene.
6. Also don’t like my prof so much

Very demanding, bossy, does it in his own way
Very manipulative

7. I feel that I will not enjoy my time here and remain depressed forever
8. I have left all of my friends and family. Would like to meet with old friends once in a while

Now these are the reasons why I feel I should not quit
1. One of the best uni – best facilities, good network could lead to very good opportunities after graduation
2. Opportunities to explore US
3. Opportunities to visit other countries during conferences

Any sort of advice would definitely be helpful.

Thanks in advance

M

Hi Androxx,

The PhD process can be quite hard sometimes, but it can be fun too. I think a bad relationship with your boss and a bad working atmosphere are not distinctive of a research institute but it happens in the industry too.

It may take some time until you get involved with the subject of research and start searching for yourself (sometimes even during your free time) for information in scientific articles, till then it will be probably very boring to be forced to do so. The same with results, sometimes it takes a looooong time to get one good result, you should be patient and flexible, paying attention to other people´s experiences/results because they may be useful in the future.

I find the "no vacation till you get good results" quite strange, but you can talk that maybe with your director.

Anyway if you want to quit, it´s a good time because you´ve just started. Spending more time on it and quitting after 3 years on the other hand wouldn´t be a good idea.

As you´re an international student in a foreign country, let me ask you a question: are your lab partners supportive? can you talk to them? do you have friends outside the lab? I´m asking this because during the PhD you may not have good results and it can be very frustrating buuuut if you have a supportive atmosphere (friends, family) you will make it through.

D

Hi!

I don't have experience on PhDs in US, but I can offer some advice:
1. The first year in a new country is the toughest. You meet your friends, family and in my case I missed the sea the most. But once you get accustomed, you get to know new people/culture/food you wouldn't have known otherwise. It expands your horizons.

2. Don't listen to other people in the lab: when I first joined the PhD all the older students told me that "I will never finish on time" and other rubbish advice, like "don't work too hard or you 'll burn yourself out". None of them apply. You know yourself better.

3. Scientific papers are not boring if you know what you are looking for. If you don't they all look the same.

4. The vacation thing seems strange. This year I took almost 7 weeks off - without including a couple of weeks for conferences. And I promise I still meet the deadlines.

Anyway, if still taking these things into consideration you think that things will not improve, I recommend that you start looking for an alternative immediately, and quit as soon as possible, because human years are valuable and are not to be wasted.

hi there, my advice is that you should try to think positive you are almost 3 months there, you are from another country far from your family but you shouldn't make decisions at that moment
you may regret it..let the time run after 6-7months things will be better after all you are in US where dreams come true!

A

I think you should wait for a little bit... Maybe things will change!
Remember, that you are very lucky to get into a PhD program in the U.S, so you should definitely use this opportunity.
Have you tried transferring to another school? Maybe you should change an adviser?
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! :)