Detached from literature review

C

Morning All.

I'm a few weeks to viva day and am feeling fine about it. My attitude, at the moment, although could change at any time ,-) , is that I did all I could.

Today I've finished reading my thesis through for the first time, summarising bits and spotting the typos.
But on re-reading my literature review I don't feel at all "attached" to it. I feel its a bit boring, dry and more story than critical review.

Obviously, I can't do anything about it now and am explaining it away to a degree with thoughts of 'well its not "mine", so why would i feel "attached" to it?'.
I am slightly concerned about the story, here's all i know feel, but again, I'm not going to lose sleep.

I just wondered how you all felt about your literature review post submission, post viva? Be grateful to find out if this is typical.

Thanks Chuff

B

I felt most detached from my literature review, out of all of my thesis. But I had written it 6 years previously (I took almost 6 years to complete my part-time PhD, including a 5-month medical break in the middle which extended the chronology further) so it's little wonder! But it was functional, and covered the essentials. I also don't think it needs to be particularly analytical really. It's setting the scene. There's a limit to how far you need to take that first starting point.

So long as you are happy with the bulk of your thesis I think that's the main thing. If your examiners did have issues with the literature review (I suspect this is unlikely to happen) you could decide on the day how much you want to defend it (and you'd need a better explanation than it "not being yours"!), and how much you would be willing to rewrite it. But I would recommend going for the first of those.

C

Thanks BilboBaggins

That is reassuring.... yes I shall need to come up with a better 'excuse' than 'who wrote that?'

Rewrite it.... eek.

Functional is a good word for it, actually.

Thanks again, Chuff