Disabled Students Allowance

S

I wonder if anyone else had been through the process of applying for Disabled Students Allowance?
If so -- how did you find it/ how long did it take/ do you think the equipment/services provided were useful to you?
To students not in receipt of DSA: in my University there seems to be a great deal of antipathy towards those getting 'free' computers/ other equipment. So I'd also be interested in your opinions (hopefully in a non-inflamatory way!).
thanks

B

I applied for DSA part-way through my PhD after I won AHRC funding and was therefore covered (as a self-funded part-time PhD student before then I had no DSA rights). The assessment process was fine, even though I have a 1 in a million disease and the assessor hadn't heard of it. She was open-minded and thoroughly documented my circumstances and came up with lots of suggestions. The equipment bought for me under DSA was modest but has helped me overcome some of the difficulties from my progressive neurological disease. I live in Scotland and once the DSA award was approved by my funding council I was able to buy the equipment directly (more cheaply than via the recommended suppliers) and send in receipts to the funding body to be reimbursed. I believe the purchasing process elsewhere in the UK is a little bit different. Generally, though, I find that I get more practical help by negotiating support directly with my supervisor/department. We're also currently thinking about how the viva process might have to take into account my disability needs given my memory problems etc.

B

Hi Scarlett,

It took sooooo long for my DSA to come through, just under a year. But it's worth going for it. Best thing is the book allowance! But I got PC, dictaphone, software, proof reading and photocopying allowance. You are entitlted to it, so make full use of it. It's there to help!

L

HI there

Mine was late arriving but I got a laptop and money for books and stuff. It was great to get this help and was a real boost. As someone with a chronic debilitating illness - it sickens me when people pass remarks. I just think well I would rather be normal and be able to do everything they take for granted than have my illness and have DSA.

E

I hope this is not too off-topic but I was looking for any other PhD students who have health problems and this page seemed like a good place to start. I guess I am interested in how other people are managing their health and a PhD?

B

Quote From Estie:

I hope this is not too off-topic but I was looking for any other PhD students who have health problems and this page seemed like a good place to start. I guess I am interested in how other people are managing their health and a PhD?

With difficulty in my case! I was a full-time funded PhD student over a decade ago but had to leave that after falling ill: it was impossible to continue as I was, even though I hadn't been properly diagnosed by then so didn't know what was wrong with me. Now I'm trying again (and near the end of the PhD) I can only study part-time, and even then I manage on very few good hours each week. I also have long patches of many months when I can't do anything at all. I have to try to save up time for those. I've only taken 1 official medical break though. My current funding council will only allow a maximum of 12 months break, which I need to use wisely over a 6-year part-time PhD.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to discuss coping strategies more. My illness is a progressive incurable neurological disease, very similar to multiple sclerosis but much rarer.