Do I have a chance to get PhD?

L

Hi guys.

I have found this helpful forum and I would like to ask you all a question.
I am a biochemistry student coming to my third year of study. I definitely want to do PhD and hopefully a good one. I am interested in cancer research.
I was the best student biological department in my second year (middle 80's) and third in my first year. I am a mature student. I also got some voluntary lab experience during the summer in after my first year at our Uni, got funding from Biochemical Society for summer project (all of them not connected to cancer research) after my second year and also got a placement year in lab investigating proteins in prostate cancer.
I will also have good reference from my tutors.

The only thing is, my Uni is not a leading UK Uni like Cambridge, Oxford etc. Does this matter at all?
Also I dont think I am very good at selling myself, for example I dont know how to answer a question why do you want to do this PhD. I always wanted to work for cancer research since I was about 20 and it is the most interesting thing in the world but I cant say that, can I? Also my mum and son battled cancer but dont know if to mention this as a reason for my interest. I dont want anybody to feel sorry for me and also this could be taken the wrong way as like I am living in the past.
Have you got any advice?
Do you think I have a good chance?
Thanks guys

P

I think your reasons are good, if I was interviewing you and you gave me those two reasons I would definitely find them reasonable. Also, it doesn't matter you're not from Cambridge or Oxford. What can you lose if you try? Good luck.

L

Quote From pitseleh:
I think your reasons are good, if I was interviewing you and you gave me those two reasons I would definitely find them reasonable. Also, it doesn't matter you're not from Cambridge or Oxford. What can you lose if you try? Good luck.

Thank you. I will definitely try!:)
I just didnt know what I am up against. If I am a reasonable candidate for a good funded PhD or not.

L

Anybody else?

"Also I dont think I am very good at selling myself, for example I dont know how to answer a question why do you want to do this PhD. I always wanted to work for cancer research since I was about 20 and it is the most interesting thing in the world but I cant say that, can I? Also my mum and son battled cancer but dont know if to mention this as a reason for my interest. I dont want anybody to feel sorry for me and also this could be taken the wrong way as like I am living in the past."

HI Loki,

you have just stated that you have long held a strong passion and interest in cancer research and that you also have a deep personal and emotional investment (Mother and son) in your topic. This isn't living in the past or acting like a victim. It is the truth and it will help carry you through the boring middle years and the tedious finishing months of the PhD. You should certainly mention these things but you can do so in a way that demonstrates that you can turn your passion into a professional concern and also in a way that respects your own personal journey with your loved ones' illnesses.

Best of luck-certainly arm yourself with lots of research for the interviews and applications but you also need to be yourself.