Emailing an entire thesis as a Word master document

T

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to email the whole thesis as a master document so that the links to chapters actually work? Or if not, is there another way around this? I've only ever sent off individual chapters to one supervisor, but my second supervisor would now like a copy of the entire thesis emailed to him, and when I sent it I found out that the individual links to chapters won't open. Is the alternative to just copy and paste each chapter into a single Word file...? The problem is that I always thought that Word couldn't cope with 200+ pages in a single file.

It's too late for me to learn other software now so if anyone has ideas of how I could resolve this I would be hugely grateful! Thanks in advance.

Tulip

G

Hi Tulip

When I sent my entire thesis to my supervisors, I sent a folder containing the individual chapters as word files.

Could you maybe try that? Hope it helps. g

Either compres and .zip them together using (e.g.) winzip, or use (e.g.) Dropbox.

T

What do you mean 'links in the thesis'? You mean in the table of contents?

You can send it by gmail/google docs if you both have it.

Yes, I can confirm Word struggles to cope with 200+ pages... but you can still make a functional document.

B

I had no problems with my 260 odd page thesis in Word. Just keep the size down as much as you can. Once they start going over 50 mb you may run into problems. I used EMF files for my graphs and PNG format for my images. Those formats gave good quality at a reduced size.

T

Yeah it's the size of the file that's the issue, rather than the number of pages. I didn't try to reduce the size of my figures (should have!) and in the end my thesis was over 250 MB.

M

Saving it as a pdf file should also work, that's what I did.

T

Thank you so much guys for all the quick replies! I ended up going with dropbox - at the moment it's all in separate chapters still, but your comments will all be really useful when I put them all together as one document. At the moment once compiled it'll be over 50 mb I reckon so I think I'll need to compress the images etc. Thanks again, I don't know what I'd do without this forum at times!

Tulip