EngD Student experiences

W

Don't suppose there are any EngD students on here? If so - where are you at, and how are things going? How's the research / modular balance playing out...?

W

LOL, so I guess the EngD thing iss not massively popular on here then!

P

To be fair.. this isn't the fastest moving forum..

What's the main difference between a PhD and an EngD? does it have to meet certain engineering / science criteria?

How come you chose that?

(Sorry, questions, not answers.. but my Uni didn't offer them until this year!)

W

No probs.

They're pretty much the same thing, but an EngD incorporates 25% modular components - and lasts for 4 years. Modules are a mix of science/engineering/technology, management & business, and administrative & professional skills.

The EngD for me was/is suited to industrially based students. Or at least, that's the impression I have of the differences.

R

As I understand it, a ENGD is a lot like the engineering equivilent of an MD. i.e your research is specifically relevant or applicable to an industrial setting ( management/ manufacturing )

You are registered as a ENGD student at what ever university awards the degree and have an academic supervisor but you spend most of your time with a company rather than at the university. you work on a problem of industrial relevance to that company and you submit a fairly substantial thesis after four years. you are then conferred with the title of Dr.

Interesting way of doing research and I'm sure it pays a lot more than a normal studentship.

Im interested to know what people doing regular PhDs percieve the ENG degree?

P

"Im interested to know what people doing regular PhDs percieve the ENG degree?"

*Prepares to be flamed*

I honestly thought it was much harder to do an EngD, hence why fewer places offer them and they're much rarer (my own perception, perhaps not true) than PhD's...

A *minimum* of 4 years plus modules suggests that there are things you *have* to be good at, whereas with a PhD - you can tailor it to your own strengths and weaknesses... something that I certainly did with mine, being absolutely dire at maths and programming... thus I would probably fail an EngD...

But hey, that's just me..

R

PC_Geek,
That is why I have asked. It is a degree that seems to be rarely offered but seems like a very interesting way of doing research.

From a productivity point of view. I can see a lot of merit in registering a student for an ENGD rather than a PhD.

In a univeristy environment you are very much left up to your own devices. There is a lot of scope for staying out late at night, Not getting up out of bed in the morning, taking days off here and there and generally working when as as you feel like it....

Doing research in a company environemnt would require a student to be more mature, diligent, focused and I think this has benefits for everyone involved. I would imagine there is a lot less room for arsing about.

correct me if im wrong?

Im heading to oxofrd for a masters next october and they offer EngD degrees, so its something I would seriously consider after my masters.

P

"correct me if im wrong?"

Can only speak from my own experience... and I arsed around quite a lot during my PhD - However I appreciate most students (on here, I am sure) are much more diligent and hard working

I didn't do an MSc.. I went straight from BSc to PhD and that was enough of a culture shock as it was - one of the reasons I did a PhD was because I didn't want to get a job and have responsibility.. so doing an EngD probably would have been much worse for me as I'd have actually had to be in the office for more than 5 hours a day and not sod off to the pub at 3pm.

My Uni has literally only started offering them in the last year and that was thanks to my supervisor who managed to sort it out.. might give him a bell and grill him on them...

A

I realise this thread is a little stale but here goes....
Last year, I finished an MSc in Engineering.
I'm in full time work but would now like to undertake a part-time EngD.
With the MSc out of the way, I can go straight into the research stage.

I'm self employed so the amount of time is spent on the research is pretty much down to me and would be an interesting in-fill for when work is a little light.
I plan on setting aside 1 full day per week for the research, plus some time evenings/weekends etc.
I reckon it should take about 5 yrs.
Does this sound like a reasonable time-scale ?

Has anyone else attempted this route ?

P

I'm an EngD student and things are going ok. The main advantage of an EngD is that it is easier to go into industry after finishing, but you can still go into academia if you wish. The main disadvantage is that you don't have the same freedom a PhD student would have. I find that my industrial supervisor and manager watch over me quite closely, so I always need to perform well. The research/module balance works very well, since the modules gives you a nice rest from research and they can be very sociable.

Having spoken to many other EngDs I know that the 'EngD experience' can be very different for different people and depends on the attitudes and culture of the company that you are based at. I have heard of some EngDs who only get 1 day a week to work on their research, but most get 4 or 5 days a week. (all should be completed within 4 years)

Feel free to post me any questions you have.