Enquiring PhDs and their benefits

U

I am unclear as to whether i really need a PhD in order to become an embryologist and move up in this area, i would like to do a PhD but i dont know if it is really beneficial for me...please help if you can!

C

I think it'll enhance your knowledge greatly. Sounds like your area requires a lot of lab work.

U

yea it will require at of lab work, but i enjoy that aspect. thanks for the reply

U

You are definitely asking the wrong questions in this forum. You want to know whether a PhD has benefits for an intended career as whatever. Then you say you want to do one but you are not sure about the benefits. That makes no sense. Either you want to do one (then you don't care about the benefits beforehand) or you don't.

In my humble opinion I advise you to dismiss the thought of doing one: it's hard to get into it, but even harder to get through to the end unless you dismiss a social life and are willing to see a lot of arseholes everyday who think they are so important in the world but have a limited worldview.

I don't like academics and I say that as one of them (currently). If you are willing to dedicate your life to a big waste of time then go ahead though..

U

sorry, please ignore my previous post: just having a bad day as I don't really see how I can ever complete my PhD in this academic environment.

Ups and downs, like they say

U

I used to be a different person and enjoyed life-PhD just makes me miserable most of the time

S

try researching the top people in the field/ searching job vacancies to get a feel for qualifications needed i.e on new scientist jobs etc. i would imagine one is needed though.

S

It really depends what you want out of your career. I am currently doing a PhD in developmental biology. There are posts available in this field which don't require a PhD-you can probably start as a lab technician who would maybe be responsible for day-to-day lab duties but also start to master some of the techniques. You would be able to work your way up the scale this way. However, if you have your sights on a very research-orientated career and maybe hope to become a team leader or go even higher, then you probably do need to do a PhD. Good luck.