epic job applications!!! why oh why?!

C

I have just finished applying for a postdoctoral project overseas and it was the most time consuming one ever! I swear undergraduates spent less time on their dissertation than I did on this!

Proposal of 3,500 words
Application Form
CV
Cover Letter
Copies of Certificates

....it goes on...!

I had better get an interview after this investment of time! Wish me luck! :)

M

Hope it all goes well Chris.

A

Good luck Chris!! I'm so not looking forward to this now though!! :-)

S

Good luck Chrisrolinski! If you don't get an interview, this is still good practice and hopefully you'll be able to reuse the work you've already done. But fingers crossed!

B

Once you've collected all this stuff together though, at least you can recycle parts in other applications, so it's not wasted work regardless of the outcome.

P

I know how you feel, I spent ages aplying for a job yesterday and have just realised I forgot to complete the equal opportunities bit at the end.
I agree about re-using previous applications though. I'm not taking as long as I had been doing for applications as I am now cutting and pasting relevant bits and tinkering around with supporting statements to adapt them for the specific vacancy.

P

Good Luck, by the way!

Good luck!

I'm thinking of applying for the civil service fast stream after I do my PhD - it takes at least 6 months! So I'm thinking of getting a civil service job and then applying internally - at least I would have an income then, not just waiting around to be rejected!

C

I know the feeling. I just saw a job advertised that I've probably got no chance for but was the first one in ages where I thought 'I could actually do that and I'd like to work there too!'

However, my last job app took me ages and things are so busy with the thesis that I don't know if I've got the energy. I'm not sure if I have the sticking power (and sheer bloody-mindedness) needed for the academic job search!

J

Good luck Chrisolinski... it'll be worth it in the end!! It's try that the more applications you do, the less time it takes to do them. My first few were a nightmare but after that it was just a matter of copying and pasting and changind the odd few words.

I hope you do well from this application though!! 8-)

M

Good luck Chrisrolinski!!

C

Thanks all, I will keep pressing on!