equality of studenthship grant within department

Z

Hello
Im just coming into the final year of a 3-year studentship, and my department is advertising for a new PhD studentship - with the maintenance grant over £1000 per annum more than i receive. Its not fixed, as mine goes up incrementally each year with inflation so I'm guessing the new studentship will as well. This strikes me as really unfair - does anyone have any experience of this, or whether i have grounds to whinge/complain?

A

There are differences in pay throughout my department depending on your source of funding i.e. I know people in my group who are on BBSRC grants get more than me (EPSRC). Also you're quite lucky if you're on a case award, dependent again on the sponsor. Don't think it really matters especially when you consider a few years ago PhD students were being paid £6000 a year.

Z

They're both internal studentships with the same department, so there shouldnt be any disparity on that score, Im thinking....

S

the new ones last year got 1000 more than what we do now even with the yearly increase but i was told it was because it was getting harder to recruit and didnt mean we would get any more,

C

I got a pay rise during my PhD, and they do go up for new students over time. Older people I talk to got paid peanuts compared with now, e.g. 8K but that was reasonable for the time.