ESRC Complaints

T

Hi All,

have any ESRC funded students had problems with their uni's not paying the stipend on time? I am the first ESRC funded student at my uni and it seems that they have not put the systems in place to deal with my payments effectively. I am receiving warnings from the finance department telling me I will be penalised £100 for late fee payment, while they acknowledge that ESRC have already paid this quarters money into their account. I am also accruing a string of bank charges for bounced direct debits because my stipend is nearly two weeks late.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

I had my ESRC stipend paid into my account monthly. I would advise actually going down to see the finance team (maybe with a box of biscuits) and getting them to sit with you while they make the changes necessary, so you get paid monthly and you don't get any requests for fees etc.

T

Thanks,

maybe a box of Quality Street could do the trick. Everyone I have spoken to already seems to waiting for someone else to tick a box, and it means no one is able to do anything.

Grrrr

B

Have you contacted your supervisor? They may be able to help add a bit of pressure. You shouldn't be left in this position, especially running up bank charges.

My university was very experienced with handling research council fees, including AHRC who funded me. But I still had a mix-up, where I tried to matriculate one year, and there was a debt marked on my account because my previous batch of fees had apparently not been paid. Oh yes they had, I checked when and everything with the funding council. But I still couldn't matriculate, until Registry put me through manually. Thank goodness that was in my final year, so I didn't have to go through it again :)

T

My Supervisor has already been on the case. He was able to ensure that I did not have to pay a penalty fee for tuition. He can't do much about the stipend though. Everyone is trying their best, but one hand does not talk to the other and.........well.

I mean, it is great having funding. I would not be able to do this otherwise. But things do get desperate when it is the only source of income.

B

Ouch! Good luck. Hope it's resolved for you soon.

S

There were a few problems with some people I know progressing from their masters to PhD on the 1+3. A friend of mine ended up with bank charges because she wasn't paid her monthly stipend. The university reimbursed her for these, you could see if your university will do the same?

T

That is exactly what happened to me. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am going to have to. I also have a charge for late rent payment....and my landlord can be quite intimidating.