Everyday life and PhD

M

Just a question for all disciplines really (I am in social sciences)... how do you fit your PhD work into your everyday life? I am full time, and I try to work on my research as much as possible however I don't have a set timetable that I work within. I am thinking of setting up a more structured way of working.
I have a problem whereby I seem to work best at night, however I also have teaching to do which means if I work through the night it leaves me very tired and out of sync with the days that I have to go in and teach. If I am then awake for most of the daytime too, I feel guilty that I am not doing PhD related things. This is where I am guessing it is better to work to some sort of structured timetable.
Unfortunately, it's hard to fit in the rest of the little things you need to get done without going along with the 9-5 working day.
So basically, if you work to a timetable, what sort of hours do you spend on research? How do you structure your PhD/days/jobs?

S

For me, I do work at daytime and totally concentrated. After office hours, I will take a change by watching tv and listening to some music. then i will go on working at home till mid-night.

To be honest, I always time is not enough for me, but we are human beings who have to rest. work hard and play hard.

C

Started PhD in Oct. I've come from a full time job so trying to stick to 9.30-5.30 (just can't get in for 9!) and keep my evening to myself as I've moved to a new city with my boyfriend and he's not a student. Not sure how this will change when i start testing/deadline start looming, but want to try and keep to this structure as much as possible.

T

hi Mokey
i also teach part time though and i work well with a timetable; so when i am not going to work i wake up in the morning as if i am going; set the scene for my research. if i am going to the library, i leave the house early just as i would when going to teach. i find i work better this way, i dont get side tracked and stay in bed simply because i dont have a group students waiting for me. i tell myself; research is waiting and calling! hope this helps. am no good though in the eves, i do light reading unless i've a dealine. the thingw ith teaching also is that i find myself doing some of the work at home, so i try and completely switch off when its my research day.