Exam Scribing and Reading

N

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Just a quick question. My university has asked if any PhD students would like to help out at exam time as invigilators, scribes or readers. I would really like to help out but I'm not really sure what's involved with the scribing or exam reading. Can anyone help?

B

I'd imagine it's for students with disabilities. Either transcribing their dictated answers or reading out the exam questions for those with vision problems.

N

Hi Bewildered,

Thanks so much for your reply. I had a feeling this was what it entailed but wanted to double check just incase I had picked up the wrong end of the stick.

(up)

B

Yes that's what it is. The secretary in my department asked me if I'd like to do this, even though I'm a student with disabilities myself and would have had trouble doing it as a result - had I been sitting an exam I might have needed just this help! But I gather it's a good way of supplementing your income, and is providing valuable support to other students.

N

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm not sure I'm confident enough just yet to be scribing or reading and although it's great money, I feel I would be more of a hindrance to the student. I have however put my name forward for invigilating, which is offering less money but it's the experience I'm after more than the money itself.

Thanks again folks, you've been a great help (up)

A

I've done this loads and as long as your English is reasonable (and yours seems much better than reasonable) you're more than capable.

A

B

I had a scribe during my exams once as I broke my wrist, therefore writing was impossible! I'm sure you'd be great at it. My scribe was lovely and was never bothered when I constantly asked her to scribble things out that I'd just said!

button