Examiner excessive delay in marking

D

I submitted my PhD 8 months ago and am still waiting on the result. I have two external examiners who apparently cannot agree on whether it is good enough. I sent it off for external review and they came back with a 'good pass'. I was not happy with not having anyone from my university as examiner. I am getting no information from the university registry and very little from my supervisor. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

I

My situation isn't exactly like yours but I passed with minor corrections, which I submitted a month after the viva but it took my internal 6 months to come back to me approving them. The best thing to do is to keep in touch with the examiners themselves directly. If they came back with a good pass shouldn't the registry just approve you?! Sounds strange- or do you need the two external examiners' approval as well?

B

I have no idea what the OP means by external review (some random person you paid to check it?), but normally two external examiners are required if the OP is a university employee or there's a similar reason why an internal examiner might be deemed to be prejudiced in favour or against the candidate.
I'd make a written complaint about the excessive delays to the dean of research students / graduate school / whoever centrally is responsible for overseeing the examination process. Ask for a clear timeline for a decision - they owe you that much. It would be worth looking at any handbook / regulations you have - there may be a set time period given and I'd imagine 8 months is way over that. If you can get the person in your school who is responsible for research students to complain on your behalf that might be more effective.