Failed PhD after corrections, funding possibilities?

G

Hi,

I'm a current PhD student and my subject is polymer / organic chemistry.

I had major corrections after my viva and after resubmitting the examiner said he still didn't be believe my thesis and so failed me. I should point out the this guy too 6 months to book in the initial viva and then 6 months to come to his final decision, post corrections.

I now have to work in order to pay off debts / bills and to stay close to my University. I worked out what I need to do and a solid 5-6 months should be enough to resubmit. Unfortunately, I need to work full-time and so don't have very much time to finish my PhD.

Does any one have any advice or know of any funding I could apply for to finish this off?

Cheers

M

Hi

I didn't want to read and run. I got 'revise and resubmit in 12 months' in my viva last week, but I am surviving this, or, at least, I am trying to.

Did you have to officially resubmit your thesis after major corrections and did you have to have a second viva?

So, effectively now they have given you further major (or is it minor) corrections?

I would recommend you to find yourself a part time job instead of looking for further funding. I have done the same. I can barely support myself, but I know that it can keep me running for a while. Plus, a part-time job, irrelevant to your topic, is good since it will take your mind away - you cannot think of the thesis 24/7 - your mind needs a rest too.

M

Hi,

Sorry to hear about that. To be honest I am not sure of an answer to your question, but as a fellow organic chemist I thought I should say something.

Just out of interest, what parts of your thesis were they not happy about? As you mentioned before they are not happy with the corrected version so he decided to fail you. How do you go about resubmitting the work? I did not know you were allowed to do this - I thought you only got one shot at it. If you can resubmit then great, as long as it wasn't the experimental part they were questioning which would take a while to sort out.

Good luck with the resubmission! 

Quote From Glenn_Goodall:

Hi,

I'm a current PhD student and my subject is polymer / organic chemistry.

I had major corrections after my viva and after resubmitting the examiner said he still didn't be believe my thesis and so failed me. I should point out the this guy too 6 months to book in the initial viva and then 6 months to come to his final decision, post corrections.

I now have to work in order to pay off debts / bills and to stay close to my University. I worked out what I need to do and a solid 5-6 months should be enough to resubmit. Unfortunately, I need to work full-time and so don't have very much time to finish my PhD.

Does any one have any advice or know of any funding I could apply for to finish this off?

Cheers

Glenn,

What are you trying to say?

1) Your resubmission has been failed? If that is the case, you would not normally get a further (third) chance and it would be the end of the road.

OR:

2) You resubmitted after 6 months (and were probably given 12 months), he's said not good enough and said you have the remaining 6 months of your allotted period to get it sorted out.

How does he not believe your thesis?

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)