Failed PhD, resubmit in another country?

X

Hope this has not been asked before (couldn't find the thread).

I'm writing for a friend (seriously), he has failed his phd in the UK and asked to resubmit for an MPhil. Content is there but method and analysis weren't judged satisfying.

The question is, rather than appealing, would it be possible to resubmit the updated material in another country with another supervisor for PhD?

Thanks

X

Hi again, I would really appreciate an answer from anyone with experience in the domain. Some friends seem to think it is possible, while I tend to believe it is not. Any information much appreciated. Thanks

C

I don't have experience of this, and I don't know in what country you live. However, when you submit your PhD in the UK you also submit a declaration where you say that you didn't submit that material for any other degree. So I think this means that here you wouldn't be able to do so.

Also, if there are serious issues in the thesis - so much that a re-submission after major corrections has not been offered after the viva - perhaps that means that extra work wouldn't make it to PhD standards.

If I were your friend I would accept the MPhil, and then think seriously about what didn't work and why (E.g. lack of skills, etc). Then re-apply for a new project if this is what he/she really want to pursue. 

E

I guess the only way to get an answer would be to really scrutinise the fine print of the regulations of the university in question. It sounds like UK universities don't allow it, but it might work elsewhere. Alternatively, could just go for the MPhil...

X

Thanks, that's useful. Yes, it is in the UK. Problem with the thesis were due to lack of supervision, or rather, too enthusiastic one, letting my friend submit without any warning. I expect it would depend on the 'host' university, but I'm confirmed in my thought that there is a grey area around this.

If anyone has heard of something similar please let me know.

Cheers