Fear of presenting

O

Some people have very formal presentation styles, other more informal, like having a conversation. You have to find what works for you--within the constraints of your environment/field, you have to do what makes YOU appear authentic and comfortable. Sometimes I wonder whether conferences have real value. Sometimes I step away wondering what I should have/was supposed to get from being there/presenting, etc...yes, its a CV line if you present, but is that all?

S

a conference's main use is networking.

presenting new stuff is only really important when you're a newbie - so people can get to know you. the more experienced people go there to meet old friends, drink coffee, pick up new phds/post-docs and talk over projects with partners. it's not as anything was really THAT new anyway if you're keeping up with the new articles.

people know you'll be nervous to present (they were/are too) and expect it.

H

I completely sympathise spacey...I'm due to give a talk in a couple of days and I'm completely bricking it. Especially now my sup has insisted on a few last minute changes! Aaaarggh! I really don't want to go now, I was semi-confident this time yesterday, but now....uh-oh!

I will press on though, the only way to sort this out is to get on with it. Like others have said, audiences are far more friendly to PhD students, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Its just good ol' fashioned nerves!!

good luck!

S

Funny this topic came up today – recently I’ve been putting a lot of thought into how I’m going to deal with this issue over the next year or so (I’m a new PhD). What many of you say resounds with me – I’m not a shy person, have no problem lecturing to undergraduates etc, but when I’m dealing with audiences who I deem ‘superior', or to friends (who I feel I can’t step into a role and ‘act’ in front of), then I go to pot and get so distracted by extreme physical symptoms (heart pounding, overheating, blushing, wobbly voice etc). I’m trying to see nerves as helpful wee things - a sharpener - and not something to fight with, and basically trying to reprogramme myself to not let these feelings get the better of me – the comment that the nerves you feel barely show was very pertinent– how common is this issue and how many presentations have we all seen between us? Have we ever seen anyone REALLY lose it? I’m guessing not.

S

Coincidentally, I have just signed up for a course to deal with performance anxiety (tailored for academics so won't be at all corporate). I'll let you all how it goes. Maybe it won't change my life but maybe I'll learn the odd useful technique or two...

L

yikes, that is EXCELLENT advice, about the power of now. that can be applied to alot of situations not just presentations. like i was having this fear that i wouldnt complete a first draft of my thesis by my deadline of 7th july. but you're so right. i can't control what happens in the future. i should try to just live in the actual moment. and deal with the future when it comes.

thanks for sharing that advice!

and spacey, i agree with everyone. they've given you excellent advice.

L

i used to HATE giving presentations also.completely petrified by it... really had low confidence. i've never presented at a conference though, avoided going to conferences because didnt want to give presentations!. but when i used to have to do presentations. this is what i used to do.

make a rough outline of what i wanted to talk about. make my slides. make them eye catching and interesting. and then per slide made notes. and then basically not learnt it by rote, but know the gist of what i wanted to say per slide. have like key words or notes per slide.

L

and yah like everyone said. if you KNOW what you're going to say. then at least you dont have to worry about not knowing what to say. and then once you know what you want to say, then the fear of actually presenting infront of people might become less. it will still be there. but just think, these people WANT to hear what you want to say. and that all your doing is lecturing them. you're the teacher, and they are your students!

good luck!!

S

Thanks all! I'm going to take all of your advice on board and figure out which system works best for me. It's nice to know that physical symptoms of nervousness aren't actually that obvious. You always assume that if you're feeling it, everyone can see it clear as day! I've been avoiding presenting because I was so scared, but I realise that it's not something I can put off for much longer. I think the PhD makes you really face yourself and confront your insecurities in a big way. I used to be so confident when it came to talking in front of people, so it's so strange that I've now gone to the extreme of being terrified. I guess it's the expectation at this level which has really thrown me off. I bet it's a great feeling when you get that first conference presentation out of the way!