Fed up!!

C

Hi everyone, I'm a second year PhD student in the biochemistry area and I'm absolutely sick to death of my PhD!! I've accomplished nothing in the past 2 days, just sat and procrastinated looking at stupid stuff on the internet! I just can't seem to focus on anything or motivate myself to get up from my computer and go into the lab and do any real work. This then makes me feel really guilty which somehow makes me feel even less motivated! I'm not particularly interested in my PhD (I'm beginning to think I hate science altogether), but I want to stick it out so I have the qualification even though I'm sure I don't want to do lab work or research ever again. I feel like I've achieved very little in the last few months and don't feel like I'm progressing much.

Just wondered if anyone else feels/has felt this way before and as any advice on how to get past it? Thanks guys.

C

What do you think the problem is? Are your experiments working in the lab?

C

Not a lot is working at the moment to be honest. It's so frustrating just repeating stuff for it to not work again.

C

Yeah I suspected it was that. I also did a biochem related subject and when things weren't working in the lab it was the same. Best solution I found was to try new things in the lab whilst repeating the thing that's not working. If there's a new assay to try that could produce some data it really helps with the motivation.

S

Hi Coop

Do a search on here on 'procrastination' and you'll bring up lots of stuff - this is a common theme! Then again, looking at a thread on procrastination will help you procrastinate...

Start small. Make a list, just do a little bit, do one task for fifteen minutes, then cross it off your list. Then do another. Pretty soon you'll find that you're working and feeling better. Don't feel guilty - we all have bad days/weeks and feeling guilty doesn't help. Procrastination is a sign that you're overwhelmed - so break down your tasks, start afresh and just do little bits...

Have you discussed with your sup about not getting results and progressing? Can you work out a plan from this? Have you got Joan Bolker's book, 'Writing your Dissertation in 15 Minutes a Day"? It helps lots of us. I also use a timer to motivate me: http://mytomatoes.com/. These are all tactics I use to get me to work, but is sounds like you also need to address the underlying problem of how to make progress in the lab.

We all procrastinate, you're not alone. But it does pass...good luck!;-)

B

I've had to come back to the PhD after extended periods away (sometimes a few days, sometimes months) - many, many times. My trick every time is to draw up a list of things to be done, big, small, everything. A very long list usually by the time I get back to it. And then I start picking off the most appealing (or least unappealing?) items on the list, one at a time. And that way I build up my stamina/confidence again, and get going.

K

This isn't very helpful Coop but I always feel guilty when I read threads like yours. I could fritter away 2 days and barely notice! :$ (Until the work piles up and naseua sets in). Slow and steady wins the race, right?!

C

Thanks for all the understanding and advice everyone. I had a day away from the lab yesterday and I'm feeling a lot more inspired today. Just starting on that big list now!

K

Hi Coop,
You may have as well picked your words from my mouth, I have been on my project for just over a year now. I am extremely unmotivated at the moment because nothing I am doing seems to work for the past couple of weeks. I have a troubled personal life that has bashed my self esteem and confidence pretty badly even in the best of times. Now that combined with my stuck project  for almost a month is very frustrating.
I have read many threads of people thinking of quitting before on this forum but I never thought it d occur to me. I am embarrassed to admit that it crossed my head for the first time yesterday, I know I am not going to quit because i love research and my project as a whole, I have had doubts of my abilities in the past when I was having tough days/weeks but this is the first time I asked myself if this PhD thing is for me.
I am fortunate to be in a very supportive group, I know there are even harder times ahead, my consolation now lies in my resilience. So to cut a long story short Coop you are not alone, hang in there and the bad times will pass (Talk of a blind guy helping another to cross a street)

S

Hello!
Now, I'm willing to accept that this is the drink talking (in which case referencing my work will mean that the author is Carlsberg et al.) but I always find listening to music is motivating in all kinds of ways. It is preferably combined with a long walk and a reflective mood.

That's my 1p.

S

Dear Coop,

We all have our phase of frustration! It is an in built system to makes you realise you need a BREAK! Trust me, try to be blank! Just play dumb! Take a chill pill. This will relieve you off the pressure. At least you are safe, because if I feel the same as you, I want to commit suicide!

Dude, take a break for a week at least, have a kit-kat, and life will be all beautiful.

Waiting for a positive response after 3 weeks!

All the best!