Feedback on your work

L

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone else finds that their supervisory team occasionally want to critic a piece of work you've written during a supervision meeting without them having previously read it. Maybe this is common and I just am unable to take criticism but I'm finding it really difficult to deal with feedback given in this face to face way. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find it helpful? Do you think I should just try and adapt to it or say I prefer a more traditional approach of written feedback? My panel are aware I don't like it. Thanks

My supervisers provide some written feedback but pretty much always give work back with extensive face to face feedback, sometimes individually and sometimes they do it together. Sometimes it includes the Graduate Research Coordinator as well.

I have learned not to take any of this personally and now, though it can be tiring and disheartening to hear that so much more needs to occur, it doesn't bother me much beyond this any more. I think you become used to it really. I find also nowadays in the late stages of thesis completion, I don't always agree with them but I try to take most of it on board.

Sometimes they all have a discussion about the work with me there, speaking about me in third person while I am still in the room. "She needs to do this" "Okay but I really think it would be better if she did that because she is saying blah de blah de blah". "Well I'm thinking that the examiners might read this and go...so she really needs to...".

It is hard at first, so you need to be a little kind to yourself when you are at the sharp end of this sort of experience. Take care and best of luck.

L

Thank you for your answer - yes this is exactly what I mean!! I find it really odd- I've never experienced this in any other area of work. I guess I need to develop a bit of enotional distance from my work and take it all a bit less seriously, I'm in defence mode now before I even get through the door!

P

Quote From Lydia:
Thank you for your answer - yes this is exactly what I mean!! I find it really odd- I've never experienced this in any other area of work. I guess I need to develop a bit of enotional distance from my work and take it all a bit less seriously, I'm in defence mode now before I even get through the door!

I used to be like this but then I learned the value of honest feedback. I now actively seek it out. All I ask is that there is no nastiness or deliberate attempts to undermine me behind that feedback. TBH finding people who genuinely believe me when I ask them to be brutally honest is the biggest problem because most people are scared of causing offence. They mean well but dont understand how damaging their reticence can be. For example if my supervisor fluffs my pillows to protect me I risk being crushed by my external at viva time. That wont do me any good at all.

In my opinion this is something you really must learn to overcome. It will benefit you in the long term.

T

Oddly, this is what I am being taught is the 'best' type of feedback in these lovely training programmes I have to attend in my job. Personally I think it's a bit of a joke. Feedback should be tailored to individual preferences. I prefer to have written comments on my work, then the chance to discuss these comments later. At that point, it's less intense because I've had time to reflect on those comments, not have had them all trust upon me at once. My supervisor gave me this type of feedback so I was lucky. If you just want written feedback, then that's what they should give you. You can then ask questions on it if you don't understand, or if you keep making the same mistakes then they can discuss it further with you.

We are being encouraged to do audio recordings of feedback for undergraduate students, rather than writing anything or having face to face conversations. I'm told that research backs up this preference, but I'm yet to have been provided with any such research, and it seems too much effort to find these for myself since this educational research is so far out of my field. Apparently this is also quicker to do, but again, that's a personal thing in my opinion.

P

Quote From TreeofLife:
Oddly, this is what I am being taught is the 'best' type of feedback in these lovely training programmes I have to attend in my job. Personally I think it's a bit of a joke. Feedback should be tailored to individual preferences. I prefer to have written comments on my work, then the chance to discuss these comments later. At that point, it's less intense because I've had time to reflect on those comments, not have had them all trust upon me at once. My supervisor gave me this type of feedback so I was lucky. If you just want written feedback, then that's what they should give you. You can then ask questions on it if you don't understand, or if you keep making the same mistakes then they can discuss it further with you.

We are being encouraged to do audio recordings of feedback for undergraduate students, rather than writing anything or having face to face conversations. I'm told that research backs up this preference, but I'm yet to have been provided with any such research, and it seems too much effort to find these for myself since this educational research is so far out of my field. Apparently this is also quicker to do, but again, that's a personal thing in my opinion.

In an ideal world you are correct that feedback should be tailored to the individual. Unfortunately the working world outside academia can be brutally harsh so it is good for people to be exposed to ot as early as possible. It isnt about whether this feedback is the best type or not. It just seems to be prevalent in the workplace. It is personally the best method for me as I hate faffing about. I dont have the patience for people who try to dance round an issue to "protect my feelings". Just get on with it :-) If I am giving feedback I want that feedback to be precise and efficient because neither of us has all day. If I had to consider the feelings of the other person it would drive me insane. Just keep the feedback free of abuse, keep it constructive and keep it focussed.
I am not sure what you mean by "less intense". All I do during these sessions is write down my supervisors comments. I then go and consider them afterwards. After I have considered them I may well go back and argue against some of the points or seek further clarification.

T

I agree, I would rather be told it as is, I don't like people dancing around the point either. By less intense, I guess I'm thinking if it's written down I can go back over it later, with verbal feedback I will probably forget most of it and there isn't usually time to write it down as they are talking.

Quote From TreeofLife:
I agree, I would rather be told it as is, I don't like people dancing around the point either. By less intense, I guess I'm thinking if it's written down I can go back over it later, with verbal feedback I will probably forget most of it and there isn't usually time to write it down as they are talking.

When my current supervisors provide this feedback, the main supervisor has written already on a copy of the draft which is given to me at the time and this helps. Having said this, sometimes new things are discussed if both supervisors are there. Mainly I think because the second supervisor hasn't read the draft and is only now considering both my text and the main supervisor's comments and rapidly reading and taking it on board as we go. She is pretty much head of the faculty though and very busy and that is just how it works with her.

I also agree with pm133's comment about how feedback is often given in the workplace. This is the most prevalent sort of feedback given in the different schools and systems that I work within.

P

Quote From TreeofLife:

Oh I absolutely agree with that.
I have never been afraid to tell the other person to stop for a minute while I jot down their comment. I could never remember anything without doing that. That would be a nightmare.

T

Quote From pm133:

I have never been afraid to tell the other person to stop for a minute while I jot down their comment. I could never remember anything without doing that. That would be a nightmare.

Yeah it's not always easy though when they are trying to have a quick conversation.

L

Thanks for posting your experiences. It's interesting to hear that you all find this type of feeding back in person beneficial at least to some degree, maybe I'll try to persevere with it. It seems to be pretty common, I guess it's quicker for supervisors. I think I prefer written feedback because it means they've actually read the work. When they first discussed my draft one supervisor said to me "take us through it" - I didn't really know what they expected, should I read it out or summarise each section?? Anyway it seems this is the way things are done so I'd probably better just get used to it!

L

Quote From Lydia:
Thanks for posting your experiences. It's interesting to hear that you all find this type of feeding back in person beneficial at least to some degree, maybe I'll try to persevere with it. It seems to be pretty common, I guess it's quicker for supervisors. I think I prefer written feedback because it means they've actually read the work. When they first discussed my draft one supervisor said to me "take us through it" - I didn't really know what they expected, should I read it out or summarise each section?? Anyway it seems this is the way things are done so I'd probably better just get used to it!

T

I'd find it rather annoying too. It seems a bit silly to me... I like honest and face-to-face feedback, but I'd rather they spent the hour reading it and outlining several clear bullet points of feedback / or else give 5 minutes of clear verbal feedback.

Also I think referring to "her" or "him" when the person is sat in the room is incredibly rude! Even if it is saying "she's done a good job". We're humans not dogs! I think I find this kind of thing less acceptable from having worked and been treated with respect in the workplace before doing a PhD.

I think my point is - there's a difference between honest, critical, and face-to-face feedback and being rude.

Quote From Tudor_Queen:
I'd find it rather annoying too. It seems a bit silly to me... I like honest and face-to-face feedback, but I'd rather they spent the hour reading it and outlining several clear bullet points of feedback / or else give 5 minutes of clear verbal feedback.

Also I think referring to "her" or "him" when the person is sat in the room is incredibly rude! Even if it is saying "she's done a good job". We're humans not dogs! I think I find this kind of thing less acceptable from having worked and been treated with respect in the workplace before doing a PhD.

I think my point is - there's a difference between honest, critical, and face-to-face feedback and being rude.

Hi Tudor Queen, thanks. I smiled when I read your comment. To clarify though, I have really nice supervisors who are very busy. The second supervisor who is the Head of School supervises many PhD students and I'm lucky when I do get to meet with her. I think they were arguing over some changes, and while I sat there, I guess I learned a couple of things.

Even highly educated and experienced supervisors who get on very well, will read and interpret your work quite differently and want you to write in different ways.

They were so engrossed in arguing the point about whatever it was I had written, that they forgot about me and were just intent on working through the issue. In retrospect, it is rather funny, although at the time I was a bit annoyed.

The second supervisor who I barely see and is always very busy has a 100 percent track record of getting her PHD students through so I am really keen to get her advice, and value the short periods of time I get to see her. It's excruciating to sit through sometimes but very useful.

T

Ah OK! It sounds like it wasn't quite what I thought! And re-reading what I wrote, I seem to have developed a bit of a micro chip on my shoulder! It is true that their expertise is needful and so we may have to put up with a few things we don't like!