fess up or lie?!

Hi all, I've been lurking for a bit and now need some advice, or maybe just some 'think that's stupid? Listen to this...' comments!

Am doing a survey for my PhD, recruiting 4000 people in primary care. I'm usually meticulous but it's been hard lately and I stupidly sent some letters out with the wrong name for the address. In principle it isn't that bad, but the primary care organisation are fuming (fair enough). This morning I assured them only 20 had gone out wrong (which is what I thought), but it's actually 70. Worse still, none should have gone out before they had Ok'd it anyway. Ugh. I'm writing to each of the patients to apologise but... do I own up to how many there are, or lie if they ask and hope they don't find out? I have a sneaky feeling they'll complain about me (and I probably won't be allowed to complete the survey) if I own up, but if I don't and they find out I lied...

Haven't had the guts to tell my supervisor yet, been trying to sort it out on my own.

D

Poor you! Just remember its a human mistake and we all make them. If I were you I would tell my supervisor asap, hopefully she or he will make you feel a bit better about the situation and give you some advice

Cheers DJ, just feel like burying my head in the sand! Supervisor is frighteningly perfect and god like, but maybe it's for the best...

D

I'm sure your supervisor has made some major mistakes in his/her time. Sure you will be fine. Goodluck

Thanks. And good luck to you with the viva!

P

Yep I agree with DJW- whereas it's not good, it is an admin woopse that anyone could make.
I'd just tell the truth. These things happen to the best of us. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

Thanks, Pea--you're right of course!

A

Yeah, I agree. As hard as it is, take a deep breath and confess all. People may be teasy initially but they will respect your honesty. Hope you can soon get your work back on track.

R

I'm made many stupid mistake and once you discover them it's horrible! The last one i discovered stressed me out so much that i didn't sleep properly for 3 days. I confessed and felt better, especially as my supervisor didn't think it was a bit deal really. So i agree, be honest and get on with solving the problem. good luck

R

oops i mean *mistakes and *big deal

see i'm still making them now!

Thanks guys! Feel lots better about it now, and everyone's been surprisingly OK. I think I'm developing reasonable skills in damage limitation anyway Really appreciate your support