Final countdown - 37 hours to viva!

A

======= Date Modified 29 13 2010 02:13:23 =======
======= Date Modified 29 22 2010 00:22:04 =======

I can't believe this time has come! All the time i've been a member of the PGF i've seen these threads go up and thought i'd never get there - but I have, and the fear has set in, i've realised it's really happening and I feel there is so much I should have done! I'm sat here surrounded by papers, coffee and feeling sick, but I know I should go and rest and chill out like everyone keeps telling me!

So what have I done for prep (I need some accountability for next 16ish hours!):
Read thesis, DONE
List of typos - DONE (45 in 260 pages) :(
Seminar talk - DONE and practiced a few times, couple more required tomorrow
marked off parts of thesis with post-its for chapters and key areas - DONE
read through newly published papers and some I recently found - DONE
reread other key papers - DONE
key broad questions about thesis - started...

Still to do:
Finish answering broad questions and practicing how to deliver these answers
read back over 5 key papers relating to my research -EDIT - Now read 4 of the 5 :) and time for bed!

Anyone got any more ideas of things I should do tomorrow to prepare myself? I feel completely under prepared and that i'm going to fall flat on my face when I get in there. But also trying to tell myself positive thoughts to get through this, as I know going in confident of myself and the work i've done will make a difference.

Anyway, probably time to go to bed so I can get up early tomorrow and get these things done and then try and relax in the evening! I just can't actually believe this is happening, it feels like its not real and that I don't deserve to be here!

S

hi alpacalover
your post is really good news!
Looks like you have everything under control even with your papers, coffee, feeling sick :-)
37 hours will pass quickly! Everything will be ok!
Go to sleep, you can do your broad question-preparation tomorrow, you'll be fine.

Take deep breaths just before your viva and take your time before answering :-)

Remember to post back with MORE GOOD NEWS
love satchi

B

I wish you the very best of luck. You seem to have everything under control. Your plan of getting it all done early and relaxing in the evening is a winner. Despite your feelings, you seem extremely well-prepared! Remember all your hard work - of course you deserve to be here!

Good luck again (up)(up)

A

Thank you Satchi and Bleebles! I hope i am as prepared as you say! I've just read 3 of the key papers and am off to bed before I fall asleep on them - although maybe I would just soak up the information...? Maybe not a good idea though, waking up with ink on my face ;) I might turn up to viva looking a total state! haha!

night!

C

Sounds like you've done all you can! Try to rest up and best of luck! (up)

W

Best of luck AC! And if you do fall asleep on the papers and get the ink on your face, when you get stumped, you can look in the mirror for an answer. Did your teachers in primary school ever look at you and say something like 'Don't look at me, it's not like the answer is written on my forehead'?

Bad twisted humour, I'll go back to my dungeon now.

A

Thanks WanderingSage, heehee, I like your thinking! I did actually think about a mirror last night, but managed to make it to bed before I fell asleep!

Having pretty slow day due to late night last night :( but just having lunch and reading last two papers - one to go! and had a long shower thinking about questions and possible answers and the 'broader picture' - which i'm really struggling with! my area and specific topic, along with my actual research make this quite difficult, but I just need to take the step back and think outside the box!

But, i've sorted myself out, got my outfit all ready and laid out, going to straighten my hair tonight - takes a while ;), I figure I feel good and look good then that makes a difference to my confidence too.

I'm going to finish this last paper, practice my talk one last time, write some answers to my broad questions and have a wee practice while i'm in the house alone! and then its time to try and chill!

I woke up today with my tummy and guts doing back flips, but for those who were with me the other week when I had a health scare, my latest blood results have come back ok so that's one less thing to worry about - Thank you to those who were there for me and kept me calm!

right, one last paper....! and some red bull and nicotine gum!
AL

C

Good luck, good luck - you are almost there!!! :) :) (up)

W

Wishing you the very best of luck with your Viva. You'll be fine!(up)

Hey Alpacalover, WOW, it sounds as if you are totally on top of things, well done! And all best of luck for the viva tomorrow, I bet you will shine and be a super cool Dr. 8-)

A

thanks everyone! not long to go now, down to the final hours!

Partner took me out last night for dinner and the cinema, was great just to get out of the house and have a laugh!

Can't believe it is today, think part of me is in shock or denial! Hopefully have a new thread tomorrow with some good news and let you all know what it was like!

time for coffee and try to chill out. AL