Final Year : Supervision difficulties and motivation

A

======= Date Modified 06 Jun 2012 17:20:22 =======
======= Date Modified 06 Jun 2012 17:14:21 =======
Hi I doubt I'm alone in this, but at the moment it very much feels like it. I'd love any advice or thoughts any of you may have on my situation.

I'm nearing the end of the third year of my PhD in the social sciences. I've completed all of my interviews, and finished my transcription. All I need to do is write up, but I am facing a number of challenges.

I don't see eye to eye with my supervisors and am struggling to find the motivation to work. Has anyone else experienced a complete breakdown of their working relationship with their supervisors and if so, how did you cope and find a way through? I feel that the relationship is beyond repair at this stage. I'd like a new supervisor but there's noone in my department who would be willing to take me on. So it's either suck it up and get through, or quit.

L

Hi Alice,

I've sent you a PM!

A

Hi Linda, thanks for your reply. I don't know if it's my account or something, but my inbox isn't showing a message, so I'm not sure if there's a problem there or something..

L

Hi Alice,

Sorry! It should be with you now (up)

Hi Alicethecamel,
I am in a simmilar situation except it is not that I don't get on with my supervisor, but that the University keep changing them. I am on to my 4th Supervisor in 4 years. Each wants a different focus, a different style etc. I am on the verge of walking away as it seems they have full control of your work, and the students opinion means nothing.
No advice sorry, but I do feel your pain!

E

Hi Alice,

I posted on here a while ago, about a similar problem, and am now going throught a change of supervision. You're not alone!

A

======= Date Modified 03 Jul 2012 20:48:58 =======
Hi all,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate it. It's good to know I'm not alone with this. Just knowing that these problems are quite common helps.

Just a little update - I spoke up in the end as it was speak or quit and after a brief chat with the postgraduate welfare tutor and a friend/member of staff, my supervision team has been changed. I'm still a little uncertain about who I'll have as everyone is on holiday at the moment, but immediately after making the decision and speaking about the issues I was facing, I felt a weight had lifted. Here's to hoping that things can move forward again. I found a little bit of motivation and have managed to get a huge chunk of reading done which is good as well as presenting at a workshop which was helpful. So things are on the up.

It's bloody awkward being around the department though, so I'm working from home a lot!

Thank you for your support!

Epic - I'll go check out your thread, and Giblet - I hope things are getting better for you? I'm sorry you're going through this too.