First yr PhD student stumped for ideas for summer 2008

F

Hi,
Can any1 enlighten me as to how you have (2nd, 3rd,...PhD students) have spent their summers? I want to do sth exciting, but it needs to be cheap.

F

R

how about in the Lab? its my understanding that Phds are treated much the same as jobs and that most people would be lucky if they can find the time to take two weeks off during the summer months? correct if im wrong. if you want cheap you cant go wrong with package holiday to spain/portugal/greece....

F

Thank you for the comment!

I should let you know - that I am doing a PhD in Law. So no lab work for me.

E

lol rjb! No lab work for my PhD but no Summer either... not like it was in undergrad - weeks and weeks of freedom... there really shouldn't be time (and if you're like me then I'd feel too guilty to enjoy that kind of time off anyway) Having said that I was lucky this year and did manage a week in Norway in February and a week in Rome in September for my 'Summer' holidays

J

Here PhDs are allowed 25 days annual holiday, of which not more than 10 days can be taken consecutively (i.e. no more than two weeks at once). So I laugh whenever someone asks me what I'm doing for the "summer holiday".

P

do people really get the summer off when doing a PhD?!

A

hi, I'm second year - for the past two summers I took a week or two off and went on a volunteering holiday at a respite centre for people with disabilities [look up here http://www.vitalise.org.uk/Volunteer/Volunteer-at-a-Vitalise-Centre.aspx] - something to consider,if you're looking for very cheap, but I'm not sure if your idea of exciting includes for instance pushing wheelchairs around Southport (where one of the centres is).I loved it though,and had a great rest,at least it was something very different from what I normally do.

B

Hmm, yeah - I think if you did just spend your whole summer on holiday you'd screw up the PhD, even one in arts & humanities ...

F

Cheers for the reality check.

S

Sorry, even the non-sciences don't get the summer off

B

It says on my contract that we have 30 days annual leave plus the 10 statutory... and then goes on to add that most students do not take so much holidays in order to try and finish on time

B

I didn't take any long holidays (ie two weeks in one go). But I do take days off here and there. It's important to take time off from the PhD so that you don't burn out. I hoping to take two weeks off next summer even though I will be in the thick of doing my field work. I only see holidays as a way of doing justice to my work rather than detracting from it. That's my way of pushing away any guilt that could creep in!

R

this is the first time ive ever heard of having a summer off whilst doing a PhD and im sure it never happens, you are after all paid by someone ( research council, department.... ) to produce reseach output and i dont see how departments would allow students to have summer off unless its for feild trips/ medical reason.

forgive me for being a smart ass but i think the person who wrote this thread is telling porkie pies or else doing a PhD at an online university

S

dont so mean,rjb203. Anybody can take a holiday, including phders. But always work comes first. If one can make sure that his work cannot be at the least influenced by a vacation, no harm to take a vacation. But if you cannot make sure about that, delay your holiday plan after you get your degree.

F

Thank you very much for your input. I take on your advice on board, and I accept that I shall not do anything that may compromise my PhD.