floundering around in the dark

E

Can anyone offer any advice please. I am researching into PhDs but left college 2 years ago so don't have reliable advise from tutors. Is there an optimal time to apply i.e. are there more listed on findaphd.com at certain times? Is it possible to get a place with only a BSc (First Class hons), I've heard that this used to be the case but now Masters are becoming essential. How about these New Route PhDs. I want to do a PhD in animal conservation/management/ecology but do not have a specific area in mind, should I have a more specific idea of research?

D

It is definitely possible to find a PhD without a masters, I got onto mine (in a similar field to what you’re interested in) with a 2.1 honours and a three year gap since I finished the undergraduate. With the work experience you’ll have gained since finishing and your first class degree, I’m sure you’re an ideal candidate. With regards to the best time to apply, I don’t know really. It’s probably worth contacting people you’d like to work with, then they’ll contact you when they have an available studentship. I’d also get back in touch with your undergraduate tutors, I’m sure they’d still be happy to advise you, and you’ll probably want them as referees.
Good luck in finding something!
daydreamer

E

Thanks, I guess going on uni websites and reading up on peoples research and then contacting them rather than going on findaphd.com may be better. I find on that website that the wrong info is often on ads regarding closing dates and funding availability.
I was a mature student when I was an undergrad so have lots of work experience, in the current climate its not easy to get relevant work experience though.
My college is of no use at all. Never do a degree at an agricultural college they have very poor facilities and we were penalised (by the accrediting Uni of Leeds) for the poor teaching abilities by being made to do two 10,000 word dissertations in the final year! I will be requesting references from there though.

K

Hey Ethanje- it's best to check with the department you want to apply to about the MSc. For some subjects it isn't necessary (I think for straight sciences it is less important), and you can get straight onto a PhD with a 2.1 or above, but for other subjects that are really competitive, it is essential. I got a first in my degree and had loads of relevant experience but an MSc was an absolute requirement to apply for a PhD at the department I'm in, so I had to do that as well. Having said that, I am really glad that I did have it as I would have struggled to do as well in the PhD without all of the knowledge and experience of research I acquired from my MSc. But of course they are expensive, so if you don't need one, then all the better! Best to check it out with individual universities though! Best, KB