Funding Award Use?

A

Hi everyone:

I hope this isn't too much of a silly question but I wasn't sure so wanted to confirm.

I was recently accepted onto a PhD (England) and was lucky enough to get some funding from the EPSRC (Doctoral Training Award) through my school. I know this award will pay for my first year fee but the award also gives a sum of money in stipend. The letter that I received (about the funding) states that the additional sum of money can be used toward my maintenance costs.

I just wanted to know what "maintenance costs" actually meant, does this mean my living expenses (accommodation costs) etc or am I able to spend it on anything I want (like books and other things that aren't necessarily contributing to my PhD)?

C

The money is there to cover all of your living costs - it's basically your wage (tax free) paid quarterly to do with what you want. Spend wisely!!!

A

Thanks cytochrome; I was asking because my supervisor was very (overly) adamant that I apply for the award and I couldn't understand why, do they get some money from the award too or is he just a very nice guy?

Are such awards rare to get?

S

Competition for these awards is tough. What were you going to live on without it? Many of us couldn't do a PhD without an award that had a maintenance component.

J

Congrats on the funding! I was also awarded mine without being totally sure what it meant so I understand what you mean: the ESRC aren't that helpful in telling you! Basically you get a wage, I get mine monthly through my uni, into my bank account. I can spend this as I wish. Unis have different methods, so yours may be quarterly... You probably also get a yearly research training grant of around £750 which you can use to reimburse money you spend on things directly for your research: books, photocopying, travel and accomodation to conferences etc. You can also get a stipend for you fieldwork. Being funded is an amazing priviledge and means you can concentrate on your research more than most people who need to earn at the same time. Have you looked at the funding guide? There is an ESRC studentship funding guide online which tells you what you are entitled to.

A

Hi Smilodon & Jayney, thanks a lot for clearing things up =)