Funding Reserve - WHAT DO I DO NOW?

J

I've been offered a place on the drama PhD programme I've spent the last 4 years working towards. The problem is I'm only the funding reserve ...which I presume means someone needs to not take up their place (unlikely, I'd guess).

The university has offered me the opportunity to defer and apply for funding next year

or

Start part time and apply for AHRC funding (starting means I cannot apply for school scholarships)

I have an interview with my possible supervisor to discuss the options tomorrow - but wanted to get a feel for what other people thought/any questions I should ask the department/funding suggestions/ anything really. I assumed I'd get a yes or a no- not be left in this situation!

P.s. I'm still waiting to hear from another university I'm keen on, who has funding, but in the event that doesn't work out...this is what I'm dealing with.

B

I'd defer and next year apply to as many viable places with funding as you can to maximise your chances (unless you are wealthy and therefore funding while nice isn't essential). I've seen too many people persuaded to start part-time only to find that no funding emerged. A year out gives you time to strengthen your research proposal and to earn some money / get some useful experience.

======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2012 21:35:27 =======
A year isn't a long time and you can work on things like the lit review in the meantime as well. If you do defer though, and apply for funding for next year, do you have a strong chance of getting it-meaning does the university give you priority? (I'm not sure how they work not being in UK). If this is the case, then personally I would definitely wait out the year rather than do the part-time bit at first.

I waited a year between final completion of my Masters and commencing my PhD (which I am now about 5 months into). I really didn't want to at first but it was (in hindsight) the best thing I could have done, even though it was hard for me to do this. I managed to complete a journal article and book chapter (on the Masters) in between (both which are now about to be published) and have also realised that the time gap has really helped by providing new perspectives on my original research proposal and direction of the lit review, which have both changed somewhat since my initial applications.

But at the time, the year's gap was very frustrating-I agonised over it quite a bit in reality. Good luck with your studies and congrats on getting the acceptance as well.:-)

J

Update:

The good news is the other university offered me a scholarship.

The better news is a week later Queen Mary offered me a full scholarship!

Nothing can even convey my delight!