Getting distance

K

Hi folks,
Been working away on my PhD now for 7 weeks and it has gone well so far. However, in the last few days I just got sick of it and decided to put it away for a few days. I also went and bought Goldeneye for the Wii in order to do something mindless yet fun (I would go outside but the weather isn't that great here).

Is this a normal thing to feel every now and again?

P

HI,

do you mean you've worked solidly for 7 weeks or you're are 7 weeks into your PhD? I need to frequently get away fro my PhD. I'm full time, end of first year, and need head space to analyse and conceptualise- so don't stress. Its a marathon not a....

D

This is an issue that keeps reoccurring and so I think your experience is not uncommon. My experience concurs with the general opinion that unless you can learn to pace yourself your passage through this journey may be rocky. Of course we do more some days than others but try and get into a routine and keep it sustainable.

Seven weeks of full on work can feel like a nightmare, however you have another 149 to go (assuming you are completing in 3 years).

You may like to kick back for a bit but I would suggest you still do an hour or so a day on your study and get something written each day so there is something to show for your work.

K

7 weeks in and, pretty much, 7 weeks work. It's fine though, I'm feeling much better after a couple of days off. I will go back and do some planning later today and write more tonight.

B

I don't know if it is normal but I think your discipline is great.

It took me 4 years to write my PhD and I routinely spent months on end either fucking around or working without even thinking of my thesis.

S

7 weeks solid? I get sick of my PhD after 5 solid days at the end of every week. :p

It's good to be disciplined and also to have down time so yuo don't burn yourself out.

K

Got up this morning and went back to work and it felt much better. I think what had happened was that I had read to the point that I couldn't do anything anymore and needed to allow my brain to absorb it properly. Now I'm seeing clearly again so onwards and upwards!!!