Gift for supervisors

S

Hi all,

I have my viva next week and I want to get my supervisors a gift to say thank you because they have been pretty excellent over the past 3 and a half years. I am really stumped on what to get them though. Any ideas? I was thinking chocolates and wine but that seems a bit dull!

Any suggestions are appreciated :-)

B

I waited until after I'd passed and my corrections were signed off. I'm afraid that my gift was just a hard bound copy of my corrected thesis, and a card with a handwritten note of thanks. But they really appreciated it.

B

Oh and I got my main supervisor another gift later, when something he could really use research-wise - but would never have come across himself - came up for sale. So I snapped it up, and sent it in, along with another card :-)

L

Quote From BilboBaggins:

I waited until after I'd passed and my corrections were signed off. I'm afraid that my gift was just a hard bound copy of my corrected thesis, and a card with a handwritten note of thanks. But they really appreciated it.

You're a laugh a minute Bilbo!!! I'm thinking of sending round a troop of lap dancers to lick melted chocolate off his body while reading him my thesis.

*DISCLAIMER: This post may not be intended as a serious reply and therefore reader discretion is advised.

we got hubs' supervisor a bottle of courvosier (sp??) brandy stuff. It was reasonably amusing as we BOTH got asked for IDs in the supermarket for it. I'm not completely sure that anyone planning on underage drinking is going to spend £30 on 1 bottle of brandy!

I don't know what to get mine - maybe some kind of apt print framed?

D

I'm searching for a very special book to give to my supervisors, 'How to effectively supervise a PhD'.

A

I have been thinking about this issue too but agree that I won't be giving anything until after any corrections are approved.

@Sneaks - I was asked for id for years and years but then it suddenly stopped! My daughter just turned 18 and has been highly insulted that she hasn't been asked for id, but then she is nearly a foot taller than me!

@Delta - nice one ;-)

hmm, I think maybe its the clothing - I find I get Id'd when I'm out in joggers and a hoody, but not when I'm in something 'smart' -(when I say smart, I mean jeans - I'm a proper student lol)

D

I gave mine each a nice bottle of red wine. They were actually genuinely surprised and very much appreciated it!